1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 7150

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MrBonex, Feb 4, 2004.

1. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I just went back to Fender 7150 pure nickel roundwounds (45-100) after playing DRs for a couple of years, and I have to say that I am in Phunky Phat heaven.

These strings are a little higher tension, but with a little extra finger oomph, I get some tone! Anyone else dig these strings (or not)?

For reference: I play a 1984 Jackson San Dimas custom shop Concert Bass (serial no. J0039) -- neck-through, dot rosewood fingerboard, EMG precision and guitar-style humbucker at the bridge. Poplar body. Pearl white (a cool color makes for better tone IMO).

2. I don't think I've ever tried pure nickels. I'm pretty sure I played nickelplated only, and now I'm a stainless steel guy. I'm hoping to get some warmer strings at one point or another to stir everything up a little. I was impressed with Fender flats, so the 7150s can't be too shabby either.

3. MrBonex, I used 7150's for awhile but I had some problems in the studio with 6 different basses, the A string was not as full sounding as the rest of the strings.

I thought at the time, it couldn't be my basses because it was happening on all of them. :meh:

I solved the studio problem by using an LA2A for compression which smoothed out the uneven volume of that A string.( I have since used TI jazz Flats or The Power Bass Series) and have no problems at all.

Do you or have you had any experiece with the A string doing this to you? I'm still puzzled by that experience and would consider using the 7150's again if, I can rely on their performance.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this question!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Treena,

I just played a gig on the 7150s Saturday night. I was thinking of you as the gig progressed -- "how is this A string sounding?" It was powerful and funky! LOL

Seriously, I just didn't hear the weak string issue. But I know that live is MUCH different than the studio. Nuance! So, I have absolutely no explanation as to why such a thing might happen. Unless it was a bad batch of strings. But why the A? Who knows?

5. Love the pure nickels. Whenever I stray I'm left wondering why.