Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 7150

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MrBonex, Feb 4, 2004.

1. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I just went back to Fender 7150 pure nickel roundwounds (45-100) after playing DRs for a couple of years, and I have to say that I am in Phunky Phat heaven.

These strings are a little higher tension, but with a little extra finger oomph, I get some tone! Anyone else dig these strings (or not)?

For reference: I play a 1984 Jackson San Dimas custom shop Concert Bass (serial no. J0039) -- neck-through, dot rosewood fingerboard, EMG precision and guitar-style humbucker at the bridge. Poplar body. Pearl white (a cool color makes for better tone IMO).

2. I don't think I've ever tried pure nickels. I'm pretty sure I played nickelplated only, and now I'm a stainless steel guy. I'm hoping to get some warmer strings at one point or another to stir everything up a little. I was impressed with Fender flats, so the 7150s can't be too shabby either.

3. MrBonex, I used 7150's for awhile but I had some problems in the studio with 6 different basses, the A string was not as full sounding as the rest of the strings.

I thought at the time, it couldn't be my basses because it was happening on all of them. :meh:

I solved the studio problem by using an LA2A for compression which smoothed out the uneven volume of that A string.( I have since used TI jazz Flats or The Power Bass Series) and have no problems at all.

Do you or have you had any experiece with the A string doing this to you? I'm still puzzled by that experience and would consider using the 7150's again if, I can rely on their performance.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this question!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Treena,

I just played a gig on the 7150s Saturday night. I was thinking of you as the gig progressed -- "how is this A string sounding?" It was powerful and funky! LOL

Seriously, I just didn't hear the weak string issue. But I know that live is MUCH different than the studio. Nuance! So, I have absolutely no explanation as to why such a thing might happen. Unless it was a bad batch of strings. But why the A? Who knows?

5. Love the pure nickels. Whenever I stray I'm left wondering why.