1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 7250 vs Sadowsky Blue Nickel Plated: Compare?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Groover, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'm back on the quest for the right strings for my Precision. I'm currently using Fender 7250s Nickel Plated steels, very nice, but I'm not quite satisfied with them. How do the Sadowsky Blue (nickels) compare to the fenders? I've used their flats, and I liked them a lot, but I want to use rounds on this bass.

What I do like about the fenders is they are deep sounding, but they seem to be low volume compared to other strings.

Hard to describe I guess, but if someone can compare the two, I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I ended up ordering a set of Blues. I guess we'll see how they compare.

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Hey Groover, let me know what you think about the Blues. I'm enjoying my Sadowsky RV5PJ that comes with the Sadowsky Stainless Steel strings. Just a little bit modern and zingy for me though. Focused and present sounding in a good way but they have a fair about of fretting noise etc. compared to Dean Markley nickels and Elixirs that I have on other basses. I like the fairly high tension on the Stainless Steels though. Kind of necessary for a 34" fiver like the Sadowsky.

Let me know what the tension is like on the Blues. I know the Fender 7250's pretty well but would like to know how the tension on the Blues compares to the Fenders once you've had a bit of time to test drive them.

Have fun.

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I have used both strings. The Fenders are thicker, fatter, warmer, mellower, and more old school. The Sadowskys are more upper mid present and clearer.

5. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Great, thanks for the replies. I should be getting the strings in the mail either today or tomorrow, hopefully have a chance to try them out by end of the week.

Ryan, what bass did you try the strings on? I'm planning in using them on a Precision bass - your reply has me concerned... lol. I'm using Fender 7250, and although deep, they seem hollow at times. Hoping for at least that same depth, but more consistent thoughout the range.

I'm sort of a heavy finger picker, which is why the fenders sometimes let me down. Seems as if they don't respond as well (almost dead) when I pluck a little harder.

6. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I have them on my SX J bass. Deep they are, but I'm not sure what you mean by hollow. P bass always have that hollow kind of sound to me. They seem like very even strings to me.

7. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    By hollow I mean that certain frequency that cuts out when you pluck a little harder.

Probably hollow is not the best term to describe that... :ninja:

Thanks again for the reply.

8. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Hmm, to my ears, these strings have a nice thick low mid presence around 200 Hz, but don't have lots of mid mids or high mids. Very even and smooth through that range.

9. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'd have to agree with this. I put them on this weekend, and that's my finding on them as well.

It would be nice to have the smooth lowes of the blues, but the upper presense of the fenders - go figure, I'm never satisfied... lol

Jury is still out. I like them, but I won't know for sure if keepers until I use them in a live setting.

10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    sounds to me like you're describing DR Sunbeam Nickel.

11. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I actually found the tension very similar, but the blues do "spring" a little better off the fingers.

Possbly. I've never used the DR Sunbeams, but if they are similar, then I may put these in my Tony Franklin fretless.

12. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    So the blues are too bright for you? What's wrong with the lows of the 7250s?

13. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    recently put a set of Sadowsky blue nickels on my Tribute L2k and they are officially my new favorite string

14. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Did you need the super longs to go thru body?

15. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    the Tribute doesn't come with a thru body bridge only top-load. I think that is only for the L2500

16. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    gotcha

17. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Nothing really. The blues just seem a bit thicker/warmer in the lowes.

18. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I went back to Fenders after the live show. The Sadowsky blues were not the best match to the tonal qualities on the particular bass I installed them ('77 Precision w/Maple neck with a '73 Pickup).

I was losing quite a bit in the mid-upper range - couldn't get the bass tone to jump out where it needed to be.

I'm sure some further tweaking on the amp would have most likely been the answer, maybe changing my playing technique too, but after some tweaking, in the end preferred the voice of the Fender 7250s much better and decided to make the switch back.

Don't know for sure, but I think the range of the blues may be better suited for an active bass - again, just an assumption - just like all strings, you have to try them personally to see if they are what you are looking for.

On a different note however, I have used Sadowsky Flats on that same bass and they sounded great (that's why I gave the blues a shot). I'm just on a roundwound kick lately, so I put the flats aside. So far that bass comes to life best with the following setup:

Sadowsky Flats for flatwound setup & Fender 7250 for Roundwound.

19. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I put the Blues on a '74 Fender Jazz last night. This bass has always had an aggressive tone (for reference). It's an alder body with rosewood neck, 70's pup spacing.

The Sadowsky Blue NPS are a much better fit on this bass and will most likely live there for a while!

That said, there's a set of strings for every bass - go figure, just like everyone says.. lol