1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 7250ML's - My new go-to string.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by joelb79, Jul 19, 2007.

1. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Ok, avid DR user here switching for the night to Fender 7150ML strings, and so far...

:eek: These things are wonderful!!!! More to follow, I have 3 gigs this weekend.

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Fender strings are great. They are a tremendous value, and the nickels you are using will stay good for a long long time, as long as any round out there, in my experience.

Fender strings get a bad rep I think because of all the badly setup Fender basses on music store walls.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Maybe so, but I can honestly say that these are the best strings I have used, BAR NONE. One of the things I was not liking about DR's was the ability to move around from bridge to neck with my plucking hand to get a wide variety of sounds. This was no problem with the Fenders.

Not only was it no problem, but i was able to create new tones by striking the string differently. I never found my bass to sound Boomy, even in a room that I usually get sonic mud, I was able to use more of the EQ to find my sound and create a rather powerful sound, without loosing the midrange overtones that I've been craving for a long time.

In fact I've even found that my electronics and pickups sounded much better, deeper, more powerful. The tone control jumped to life offering me a way to mellow the sound without producing thud. Rolling the tone off left me with the same powerful sound, sans finger noise and clank. Typically, rolling the tone off creates mud and thud for me. None of this tonight, pure tone.

Another thing I've noticed is that there is no nasal tone that I'm used to with this ash body/maple neck/fretboard bass. I tried sadowsky Nickels, DR hi-beams, sunbeams, rotosounds, XL's and some old abused GHS Precision flat wounds. These strings took care of an anomaly that I was finding and not liking in my bass. I was even debating changing electronics, but now I'm determined to leave the bass be. It sounds SO much more convincing and has that wonderful jazz growl without the boom and clank.

Even with a pick, these strings stuck with it and pounded out a killer tone. I can't understand why they would get a bad rap. I cant wait to try them in a more quiet setting with my Epifani's.

4. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    I decided to try Fender 7250s after hearing Reggie Hamilton state that he has tried every string out there and he uses Fenders because they can't be beat for the value/performance ratio.

I, personally, haven't tried everything under the sun, but I have used my fair share of DRs, D'Addario, Rotos, GHS, Slinkys, etc. and found the Fenders to be right up there in terms of performance.

Plus, how can you beat a 5-string set for $20?

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Wow. I've been considering trying out the 7250s, and you guys have convinced me. Thanks for the post, Joel!

6. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Nothing wrong with Fender strings....

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yeah. The Fender 7250 nickelplated steel "Super Bass" strings have been my specific favorite electric bass string for at least 10 years now. Not sure I use the same "ML" gague that you (45-105, right? That's usually my preference).

If you've only been using them for a little while, you'll like this....

Not only do they perform incredibly well (see above posts), but they also last virtually forever. The ones on my Jazz Bass are at least 8 years old and sound as good as new. I'm sure if I took them off there would be big fret-dents on the strings, but for now they work fine.

The five string set I have has a massive .130 as the "B" string.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A little love....
    [​IMG]

9. decipher_bass

decipher_bass

May 4, 2004
    How are the fender flats?

10. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Fender flats sound like well balanced round wounds with thud initially. Not sure how they sound when they are broken in, the were not on my P-bass too long before I had to sell her. But it did have a nice snap to the highs and even slap-ability. They didn't have as much character as the Super Bass's, but they did sound good.

11. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I'm paying that for a 4 string set. I get DR's for CHEAP, so these are kinda an increase in price for me. But if it works, who can complain!

12. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I love Fender strings, they're all that I use now :hyper:

13. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    They're a favorite set of mine as well for fingerstyle and pick. Up there with Labella HRS. For slap I still like hi-beams best ... but the fenders have a great warm and fat flavor.

14. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Ok well after trying a lot of brands of strings, I'm going to be sticking with the Fenders now for the foreseeable future. They have the snarl I was looking for without sounding harsh. They take care of the average nasal-tone of the ash/maple tone from my bass.

In fact, they seem to have extended the frequency response of the bass as well. They also made my rig sound better, which was something I thought was a weak link in my chain. Not anymore.

Thanks Fender!

15. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Are the 7250's round core?

16. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    I've been using 7250's for a few years now. I switched from daddarios. I found the midrange tone i was looking for but they don't last nearly as long as the daddarios. But they are cheaper so it all comes out in the wash.

17. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I used to use only Fender strings, but now I use only DRs.

18. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    The use a high-carbon steel hex core.

19. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

IMHO the Fender strings are great strings, you will like them. :hyper:

20. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    I like the stock fender strings that came on my CIJ '57 P. What strings would they likely be? It has a bright, yet possesses strong lows kinda tone.