1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 7250s for a Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by blr2, Apr 24, 2010.

1. blr2

blr2

Apr 21, 2010
    Sofia, EU
    Hi people.

Can someone who has tried this combination to share impressions on Fender 7250s on a Fender E-series Jazz Bass? Just got this beauty, and wonder what would be the best ropes for it. So far I have tried nickel plated dunlops. They are nice and puncy, but how about the company own make?

PS: I am using 45-105 gauge.

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    They sound really nice, lots of low end and mid punch, subdued top end once they break in. What I used on my 60's Classic when I had it. Higher tension than a lot of brands, though.

3. blr2

blr2

Apr 21, 2010
    Sofia, EU
    Thank you for the rsponse steamthief. Have you tried the Dunlops? If so, do you reckon I shoud change or stay with them. High tension is not bothering me much, I even prefer slightly higher tension to avoid fret/pickup crashes when I hit a bit too hard.

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    That is one of my favorite combos: fat, warm, growly, thick, but still clear.

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    blr2, I haven't tried the Dunlops, I honestly haven't felt a need to change from the 7250s on my P/J. Prior to settling on Fender, the nickel rounds I did try were D'Addarios, EB Slinky, GHS Boomers, Fender 7150, and DR Sunbeams and Lo-Riders. Out of those, I liked the Lo-Riders next best, but the Fenders had more pronounced lows to me. They also run about $7 less per set, not sure of pricing in Bulgaria.

To answer your question, why not give the Fenders a chanceyou never know unless you try? I'd still be playing DR if I didn't. Not a ton of money to invest to see if you can improve your tone.

One thing to consider is that Fender has recently switched the packaging on their strings, and there is debate on whether they have outsourced the production as well, as referenced in the "Fender Flats" thread in this strings forum. If that's the case, I haven't tried the new version, all my love for the 7250 is based on the old style sky blue label/vinyl pouch sets.

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Word is Fender is resourcing their strings. Anyone know if this effects the make of the 7250s? I love them on my stock MIM 50's P. Hopefully they aren't messing with a good thing.

7. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I can't confirm it, but I went to a local Best Buy where they were blowing out the old packaging sets at $6.99 per and bought the remaining eight sets.