Fender 7250's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cubeenz, Sep 16, 2001.

1. I currently use Fender Super Bass 7250's on my bass. They are steel core, steel wrap, nickel plated. I used to have 7150's (steel core, nickel wrap) but wanted something brighter and clearer. I loved the tone I got when I switched to the 7250's, but that was before my Ampeg rig. Now that I have my Ampeg I don't like the sound of my new set of 7250's. They sound too metallic. I want some strings that are bright and clear, but have a warmer, more natural sound. MusicMan basses use EB Slinky strings (steel core, nickel wrap) and they sound great. I was wondering what string I might try to get a bright, but natural sound out of my bass. Keep in mind, experamenting is expensive considering the cost of bass strings... thanks a lot
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    For warmth and clarity, I like Slinkys and Elixirs. The Elixirs aren't as bright initially, but keep the same sound forever (almost).
  3. You might also try a set of D'Addario Half-Rounds. They still have a lot of life to them, but are much warmer and closer to the sound and feel of a flat-wound. I use them on an AmStd Jazz (J-Retro), and an AmDlx P. Been very happy with them on these two basses.