1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 7250's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cubeenz, Sep 16, 2001.

1. I currently use Fender Super Bass 7250's on my bass. They are steel core, steel wrap, nickel plated. I used to have 7150's (steel core, nickel wrap) but wanted something brighter and clearer. I loved the tone I got when I switched to the 7250's, but that was before my Ampeg rig. Now that I have my Ampeg I don't like the sound of my new set of 7250's. They sound too metallic. I want some strings that are bright and clear, but have a warmer, more natural sound. MusicMan basses use EB Slinky strings (steel core, nickel wrap) and they sound great. I was wondering what string I might try to get a bright, but natural sound out of my bass. Keep in mind, experamenting is expensive considering the cost of bass strings... thanks a lot

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    For warmth and clarity, I like Slinkys and Elixirs. The Elixirs aren't as bright initially, but keep the same sound forever (almost).

3. You might also try a set of D'Addario Half-Rounds. They still have a lot of life to them, but are much warmer and closer to the sound and feel of a flat-wound. I use them on an AmStd Jazz (J-Retro), and an AmDlx P. Been very happy with them on these two basses.