1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 75' P bass or 62 Reissue P bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slapstick13, Oct 6, 2013.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    I have a chance to buy either a 1975 Fender P bass, all original parts except the body was refinished to walnut, nice looking job, for $800. Or a Fender USA 62 reissue P bass for around $950. Without having the chance to play either one before I buy, Im torn. I definately want an old school vibe, which Im sure both will do. I also favor a fatter/chunky yet smooth neck, front to back more like a neck that will fill the palm of my hand more than the 2008-present day American Standard P basses which I've had several of. Anyone had experience with both?

2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    I've heard a couple '62 reissues that sounded pretty great and they were both what I would call a reasonable weight. I call 10.5 lbs. and under is reasonable. I think hey were both under 10 lbs. That's the best I have for you.

3. I have an AVRI, a '74 and a '76. The '70s basses are hit or miss. I had a '73 that was a boat anchor and not particularly great sounding. I really like the others, though. What I'm getting at is, you may be taking some risk in buying a '75 sight unseen. AVRIs are pretty consistent, to my knowledge.

4. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I agree with this. Buying any bass sight unseen is a risk but the 70's basses were known for inconsistencies already so you'd be smart to play them first if you can.

5. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Another option is to snag an American Standard P bass in the same price range. 2008- 2012 am std s pop on all the time on classifieds. Really looking for a smooth comfy neck, which they have but I think I want a chunkier neck. There's also less chance of buying a lemon with the newer am stds. Hmmm

6. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I'm "third-ing" this sentiment. Don't buy a 70's Fender if you can't play it first.

7. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC

My 77/78 Fender P is a boat anchor but with mods including an amazing sounding bridge pickup is a great sounding instrument. Heavy northern ash / maple neck.

In consideration of the known consistency concerns cited above and your comment about preferring a chunkier neck, I'd go for the '62 AVRI. The 70's necks, from my experience are a little thinner then even the newer American Standards. The '62 AVRI would definitely be the chunkier of all three mentioned.

8. I think I'm on the same page as everyone before me, here...

I had a 78 Precision bass that sounded great, but weighed a F-TON!!!

The 70's bass is gone, but my '62 RI is here to stay!

9. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    late 70's P's are heavy, have a weird fretboard feel, and don't always have that 'classic P-bass' sound.

that '62 AVRI will play smooth and sound like a dream, regardless of the 1.75 nut width.

10. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Why riskin' over a '70s (walnut refinished, on top of all that:spit:) Precision?

'70s were maybe the worst Fender era ever, look apart (and you're losin' it with a walnut refinishin')

A '62 reissue Precision is a win win on all counts:
    - consistent, reliable quality
    - chunky neck
    - secure resale value

Cheers,
    Wallace

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed on all of the above...

- georgestrings

12. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Good luck with this decision! It's a tough one.

13. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    EVERY 60,S style Fender Bass or Guitar for that matter that i have played always seemed to have great tones and feel.,..were the pickups wound different back then?

14. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    I had the AVRI62 P. It has THE P sound for sure. It's neck is wider and flatter front to back than 70's P's. If your hands are ok with the flat wide neck, the AVRI62 is a safe bet.

15. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Yet another in agreement.

I'd buy a 62 AVRI blind (and I did) well before I'd think about a mid 70's P. Fender's very worst and some of their very best P's came out of the mid 70's, with far too many weighing in to challenge Peavey's big fat pig know as the T-40.

A spotless 62 AVRI is a good buy at 900 ish.

Finally, IMHO, the American Standards just can't compete with the AVRI's, unless you want modern P tone. They just dont sound the same. Doesn't make them bad, just different.

16. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I'll play devils advocate for the '75. I don't like the wide flat necks at the nut of the '62. '75 p basses can be great players. Does the seller have a return policy? Does the bass come with the original case? If so whats it's condition? How about the covers do they come with it? These things add value. If they are asking $800 for a refined '75 alone that a little sounds high to me. Talk him down a little and if you don't like it sell it!

17. My '78 sounded great... but, it also f'ed my back and conceivably ended my career as a touring musician.

'62 is calling you!!!

18. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    I've got small hands which were used to the 'new' AmStd/Squier VM nut width...

and I had absolutely no problems adapting to my '62 AVRI - the neck is comfortable and the bass plays and sounds just like it should; amazing.

19. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    I have a number of 70's P basses. My '74 black/maple is pretty light even though the body is ash. My'75 alder body walnut is also light. My '74 sunburst ash body with a maple neck weighs a ton.

20. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Any pics of the '75 you are considering??