Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 75 RI Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by caesarbass, Aug 6, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm really looking into this one too so I'd appreciate some feedback as well. I'm torn between the '75 and the '64 Time Machine.

2. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    ihave no experience with the fender RI, but i do recall someone saying that the bridge P-up is not as close to the bridge as it was on the real 75s. If that is the case, its not going to have that 75' jazz sound, and IMHO is not worth the it, because the 75 was the sweetest sounding of the jazzes.

3. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I have no experience with the fender RI, but I do recall someone saying that the bridge P-up is not as close to the bridge as it was on the real 75s. If that is the case, its not going to have that 75' jazz sound, and IMHO is not worth the it, because the 75 was the sweetest sounding of the jazzes :cool:

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    its the japanese 75 ri that doesnt have the correct spacing. the american version does

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I thought that those were being discontinued, because GC was closing them out awhile back and selling them off for like $820 new.
    You may have a hard time finding any.

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Mmm that looks like a nice bass, digging those pics. No exp, haven't seen one around at all.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I owend a 75 MIJ reissue and played a bunch of the MIA's, for the difference in price (at least 400). I'd buy the MIJ (japan) quality seems to be on par, and for what you save you could by a nice pre., a bridge, and better pickups. I've seen used MIJ's as low as 550. You might want to PM Phyoor he has at least three of them both MIJ's and MIA's. For the price of the American made, I'd by a Lakland Daryl Jones if I wanted that vibe. IMO

8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I used to have a MIJ RI 75. Fast neck, solidly built, nice tone,
    a lot of growl. One of the best Fenders I`ve ever tried.
    I think it`s difficult to find a better Fender in their price range (maybe a GL or a MM)

9. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I've played one in a store...they do seem to rare these days. Neck felt great and pickups sounded fab...way better sounding overall than MIJ Jazzes...also with authentic U.S. made electronics, era-correct style pickups, better fretwire, better tuners (MIJ ones are utter crap), just more faithful.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own the 75RI jazz bass. Mine is a special edition CAR version. Imho I would go with the MIA bass if money wasn't a problem for these reasons,
    1)MIA bass has correct pup spacing for 75, MIJ bass doesn't
    2)MIA bass has binding over fret ends, MIJ basses binding stops at neck.
    3)MIA bass has "vintage 75 pups" while MIJ bass has MIA vintage pups.
    4)MIJ basses are not matched as well as MIa bodies when it comes to pieces per body.
    MIJ basses on the whole are nice basses for the money (I own 4 btw) but they seem to cut corners on different parts of their basses. They seem to make decent copies of MIA basses but when you play both back to back for a period of time you do notice the superiority of the MIA bass. The one thing I don't understand with MIJ basses is the fact that the Geddy Lee bass has the same spacing as the 75RI bass but their 75RI bass has regular spacing :meh:

11. Great, great, great INFO!!! Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go try a bunch, and really keep an eye out for an MIA 75 RI. I think the MIA is the way to go. Thanks again guys, I knew I could count on you.

12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I had a 75 MIJ for almost 10 years and loved it. I ended up swapping out some of the components but it was a very solid bass right out of the box.

13. I love my 75 MIJ RI. Switched out the pick-ups for Barts and put a BadAss II on IT. Some are liking the MIJ Basses over the MIA. Try them both if you can. I wouldnt do a gig without mine.

14. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Anyone know where I can buy a MIA online?

15. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    i stand corrected...

16. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    Seattle
    that's not true.

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    My Geddy Lee is 7 month's old and the tuners are tarnishing, I'm talking seriously tarnishing :scowl:

18. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The tuners on my 2002 CIJ Precision are going on 3 years and are still working fine with no tarnishing. I suppose that if/when they do start to tarnish they will still continue to function properly anyway. Over the years I've owned several different MIA Fenders from the 50's, 60's, 70's ,& 80's, and I believe that my CIJ is as good as any.

Back to the 75RI....
    I've played two different ones (both MIA) that were nice. I might have snagged the one at GC for $820 if I didn't already have a Jazz at the time, but a CIJ would probably suit me just fine as well.

Good luck finding something that you like.

19. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

I bought mine (MIA in ash/maple) at the Woodwind & Brasswind shop in South Bend, IN. It's a great bass and the neck plays very nicely. I tried mine out at the store and they took it out of the box right in front of me so it had never been used as a demo. You can check their web site at www.wwbw.com or call them. I would make sure it is the ash/maple version and not the alder/rosewood before you buy one. I just checked their site and they list two of them, one of them being "B Stock" which is scratch & dent I believe. Good luck, it is one sweet jazz.

John