1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender '75 RI Jazz for $975 .. Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A Rock, Apr 15, 2010.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    The bass has a chip on the body about an eighth of an inch. It has a rosewood fingerboard. I see online that GC is selling a 'mint' used '75 RI for $999 with maple neck. I prefer the rosewood, but it has the nick on the body.

Just wondering, are these good buys or is sub$1000 dollar the going rate for used 75 RIs?

2. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    Where is it made?

I have a mid 1990's '75 RI from Japan. New today I believe they are around $1,000? I think the US made ones are more though.

3. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    If the used bass you're referring to is at a GC in Northern NJ then I have played it.

4. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    rosewood fretboard...american made year 2000.

Yes the NJ one from GC, very few details on website.

5. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    My 1983 MIJ 75 RI plays and sounds nicer than my original US made 75 jazz did. I had one from 1992 with the rosewood board as well and that thing was amazing.

6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Well, considering that a new one now lists for $2,450.00 and sells for $1,800.00, I'd say that's a pretty good price. (The rosewood and maple boards are the same price.) Here's a link from zzounds:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN190302

I have a 2000 model and I wouldn't sell mine for $975.00. I know you said the nick is about a 1/8 inch. That's not real big. How noticeable is it, and where is it located on the bass? If it's on the back or the bottom or something like that, I wouldn't give it a second thought. So IF you like it, I'd say go for it.

7. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    It's basically brand new. Warranty card is still yet to be filled out and is in the case. Very sweet bass.

8. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    here is the blemish...

Untitled.

Are their options to make it less noticeable?

9. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    Ahh...i see that Zzounds is selling blemished models for $1400

Nice! If that had rosewood fretboard, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Especially since I could pick it up driving down to my parents home in central jersey from connecticut.

10. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    I'd go for it. My friend has one, plays like a butter, sounds like a thunder.

11. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Since it's the American model, I'd say go for it.

12. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    You should probably make sure you call first thing and get them to hold it. Posting it here might have let someone else in on it and they might buy it out from under you.

13. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    Thanks for the comments!

It seems like they are both priced well. I have bought the bass with the blemish! I know that the resale of this bass won't be as high as the mint version at GC. But I got to have that rosewood fingerboard! Besides, I'm hoping this is a bass that wouldn't have to be resold:p

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Congrats! That's funny about the rosewood. When I got mine (in 2000), a store in Memphis had one with rosewood. I played it for awhile and really liked it; but I had my heart set on the maple board with black blocks and binding.

So I talked to a friend at a different store and he offered to match the price the other guy quoted for the rosewood one. So I went with the maple. Brand new out of the box, untouched by any hands other than Fender personnel. I think you'll like yours. I often thought that if I HAD gone with the rosewood, I'd probably put a brown tort guard on it. (Puts on flame retardant suit...) ;)

15. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´d say that $975 for a MIA 75RI is a great price.
    Haven´t seen many under the $1000 mark. If anytime you get bored of it, contact me. I´ve only played the MIJ version and they sounded and played great.

Congrats

16. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Was that the 75 Jazz with the rising sun custom pickguard? If so you beat me out for it in the final seconds on eBay. Congrats! Sweet deal on a good instrument.

17. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    Sorry dan....that's the one:ninja:

At least you know there is one at GC for $999 that has been tested by a TalkBasser;)