1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender '78 Fretless PBass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Lovejoy, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Does anyone have any info on this model?

I have always seen pictures of this Bass, but I have not seen one in person until this Friday. It was epic to say the least.

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    It's a P-bass sans frets, from the year 1978. That's about it. Nothing really special about it. AFAIK they started doing the maple board fretless in the early 70's, but they also offered some rosewood board ones.

If you're planning on making a purchace, make sure they've done all their due dilligence in regards to dating the bass. The S8 number seems to have been used into the 80s, so if they're only using the serial number and not checking neck/pot dates they might be off. In fact I saw what was obviously an 80's jazz bass (dots + bound, rosewood, no covers) at a music store with an S8 number on the headstock and they were advertising it as a 78. Although, with a fretless P, I don't think you'd really have to worry about that.

Either way, here's a pic of mine for posterity. It's the standard natural/maple with a black pickguard combo, but I do love that unlined maple board.
    http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8773/dsc01431pr9.jpg

3. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Here's my Antigua finished '78 fretless:

107_0746.

A great bass, heavy for sure, but the tone is too!

4. Holy GAS attack, Batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop that, dude!! You're killing me!!! Do you have any more pics of that beauty? Mmmmmmmmmm.......nice :)

5. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I need to take some better pics of it...

107_0747.

6. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    i saw one of those in the sf guitar center. they wanted way too much for it, my fav fender finish

7. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I have a '78 fretless p. It's got a new pickguard and fralin pickup. Great bass, even though it has that awful late 70's neck pocket gap (on both sides:eek:). Well, at least it sounds good, the neck is straight, and it's actually pretty light.

Attached Files:

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have an old 70's Ibanez P fretless (lawsuit). It's exactly like a 70's P but with better build quality (pains me to say this, but it's true and I've owned several 70's era Fenders). Sadly, she gets no play anymore. Prob put her up for sale in the future if she continues to sit. She needs love! :)