1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 800 Pro Bass Head For Sale

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by faulknersj, Mar 27, 2009.

1. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Excellent Condition! I bought it new and have barely gigged it. Asking $550. Price includes shipping, pay pal accepted. I am open to trade offers. I have 2 of these heads and absolutely love them. I have owned Ampeg, Mesa Boogie, SWR, and Hartke heads and think this is by far the best sounding head I have ever owned in this price range. It puts out 1200 Watts @ 2ohms and has been refered to a "Thunderfunk Clone." Fender acquired SWR several years back and my guess is that they used some of SWR's magic when they designed these heads. Please feel free to comment if you have owned an 800 Pro. PM me with any questions or e-mail me at faulknersj@yahoo.com. Merging the easy-to-use front end from the 400 PRO and the extreme power of the Bassman 1200, the 800 is a toneful monster that puts total tweakability at your fingertips. It delivers 800W at 4 ohms and 1,200W at 2 ohms via either Speakon or 1/4" connectors. The anodized silver faceplate is easy to read and is flanked by heavy-duty chrome handles. Tone is handled by a 5-band EQ that includes a 3-band semi-parametric EQ with on/off and gain control. A Room Balance control compensates for extreme acoustics. Other controls include an Enhance switch that emphasizes highs and lows, a variable compressor, balanced XLR output with pre/post EQ switch, ground llift and level control for line out, mute switch, tuner output, effects loop.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-800-PRO-Bass-Head?sku=480715

Attached Files:

2. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Bump For a Killer Sounding Head

3. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Bump!

4. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Bump Bump!!

5. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Bump for a killer head....I can't believe more TB'ers aren't into the Fender heads.....they sound incredible without even adding EQ. This head and the 1200 articulate the true natural sound of your bass so well......Jeeezzzz.

6. jpalir

jpalir

Oct 20, 2008
    La
    PM'd

7. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Bump. Please....no Evil Bay......don' make me do it!

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Folks, this head does not get nearly enough love. I own one, and it is an exceptional head on many levels. Perhaps if you listed it as a "1,200-watt, 2-ohm stable Thunderfunk Clone" it would garner more attention. ;)

These are well-made, and sound great! Someone buy this thing! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

Tom.

9. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Thanks Tom! If more cats had the chance to gig one of these i think they would become all the rage on TB. I love my 800 Pro....i'm only selling this one because i have 2 of them. I have never heard the Thunderfunk Comparison...could you elaborate?

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, look at the control/EQ setup on each:

[​IMG]

Canon149.

They both use solid state preamps, class-AB output sections, and traditional (transformer-based) power supplies. Each has bass and treble shelving controls, the 800 has three bands of semi-parametric EQ, the Thunderfunk has four bands, each has a line out (though the Fender's is located on the rear) and each has a 'balance' control (called 'Timbre' on the T-funk). Sure, they have their differences (Thunderfunk's Enhance versus 800 Pro's Compressor).

Maybe it's just me, but they seem fairly similar in overall function. I really like the 'global' shelving bass/treble, combined with the semi-parametric mids, and I love the balance control. For me, that's the heart of the matter, as far as both units are concerned.

To be fair, they do not sound identical when set flat (the Fender is a bit more big, open and airy, and the Thunderfunk is more punchy and focused), but either can be made to sound a good bit like the other.

Just my two cents, and YMMV.

Tom.

11. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Wow!! That is a killer comparison...Thank you for enlightening me! I still can't figure out why the Fender TBP 1200 and Fender 800 Pro's are not all the rage on TB. Like you I have owned and played many many heads, and they all have pro's and cons, but I love the 800. I may have to look into aqcuiring a Thunderfunk in the future to play on the side. Which do you prefer?

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I currently have a TB 1200 in my possession (along with a bunch of other gear from Fender), and I am torn as to which I prefer (between it and the 800).

As to the 800 versus the Thunderfunk, let me just say that if I had an 800 (which I do, actually), I would not be GAS-ing too hard for a Thunderfunk. That being said, the T-funk is a great head, and it really floats a lot of people's boats. Plus, it is definitely more compact and somewhat lighter.

Tom.

13. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I used to have a TBP-1 pre with the 1200 watt Fender power Amp and i loved it. Such a vintage growly tube tone. The 800 definetely provides more tonal diversity and is slightly easier to transport to gigs. I'm guessing you play Fender Basses?

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Among others. I have quite a few that get gig time. :cool:

15. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I have an Eden 8 ohm 4x10 cab that I am looking to sell or trade in order to aquire a 4 ohm 4x10 to use with my Fender 800 Pro. I am giggin 3 or 4 nights a week and playing mostly a Fender Custom Shop Jazz IV and a Musicman Stingray IV. Any recomendations for that setup? You have been a great knowledgable resource!!! Thank you!

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    What style music, and what tonal preferences?

17. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Good Question! Duh! We play mostly classic soul, 70's Funk, motown, R&B, and modern dance. My tonal preerence is somewhere along the lines of James Jamersons tone...fat, rich, warm, yet clear and defined. I play mostly fingerstyle (95%)with a little slap thrown in on a few tunes. I like Deep clearly defined bottom, with midrange clarity and no "clickiness" in the high frequency range. I either play my 800 pro with the EQ setting off and then tweak the room control slightly or I use the jazz rock preset on the suggested EQ chart with the exception of dialing in my low freqeuncies more around 80hz. I hope that helps. Thanks for taking the time!

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hmmmm... some cabs that come to mind are Genz-Benz NeoX-212T, Bergantino HS410, or Mesa/Boogie PH212 or PH410. A Phil Jones Neo-Power 12B would probably work well, too. I've played that head with a Glockenklang 6-pack, too, and it was really full, punchy, yet detailed.

I presume you don't want something with scooped midrange tone, right?

Tom.

Tom.

19. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    That is correct. The primary issue with my Eden 4x10 is that it is an 8 ohm cab. I will research all of those suggestions and truly appreciate your input! The quest for one's ideal tone is never ending and to me that is one of the most enjoyable parts of being a bass player! I keep you posted on the outcome. Thanks again!

20. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    This Head Has Been Traded!

Please spread the word....this is a phenomenal product!!