Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 80's reissue or custom shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by donny, Mar 4, 2006.

1. donny

donny

Dec 21, 2003
    Hey bassist,

I thought yall can help me with perhapes an age-old fender bass question. I am looking for a new bass so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Knowing that the pre-cbs Fender bass are harder to find, let alone afford, I have to look for an alternative for my new bass. I nailed it down to two good options: a 83 Fender Precision American Vintage '62 Reissue or a 2005 Fender Custom Shop 59 Precision Bass. I wanted to know from any who has experience playing those two basses.

I was thinking that a 20 plus year ago bass should age well enough to produce a sound closer to those aged 40 years plus. But being a reissued, perhapes it is just a standard P bass with cosmetic changes. (Pre-cbs were standard basses too) And the other is a Fender CS and CS no doubt produced great basses, though it has not aged a bit.

So i guess it aged bass versus Custom shop makers.

I am R&B / funk / soul bassist playing hits by Jamerson, Weeks, and Rainey to name a few. I am looking for that round nice sweet singing tone of the P bass. A Fullerton reissue or Custom shop.

Thanks!

2. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    The 80's reissues are very well regarded AND they are going up up up in value so it would be a great investment. Custom shops are probably great as well but do not as of now seem to hold their value quite as well as what the 80's reissues promise to do. Both will be great so you will not lose out either way.

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    My dad has a 82 reissue and it's a great bass. I used it for years till I moved out. The only reason it wasn't his main is because he has a real 61. It's gets a great Jamerson style tone though. I haven't tried the new custom shop ones though, but I'd rather have the 80's reissue as it will only go up in value and it's probably already been played in some.