Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 9050 Flats on my Jazz - how should it sound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 20, 2005.

1. I have an MIA Fender Jazz, J-Retro, stock pups. I want to go flatwound - how should the Fender 9050 flats sound?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Great. Not crazy about Fender roundwounds, but I love their flats. I'm very tempted to try it on my Jazz Bass, but I like it so much with rounds that I quickly forget about it.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

In my experience, they should sound really great. I really like the sound of flats on a jazz bass. IMO the Fenders make it sound thick, and fat.

One suggestion; I would go for the ML's, or the L's. The Mediums felt like bridge cables, and did not to my ears, get the same great tone the ML's did.

You may find the opposite to be true though. Give'em a try, see what you think. :hyper:

4. I have the mediums on the bass right now. How does the string gauge affect the sound/tone?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Usually the heavier they are, the fatter the sound. But I find there's diminishing returns on that once you get into the ultra heavy gauges. Like I don't think a .065 G string sounds any better than a .050, but a .050 sounds much better than a .035. I use a .045 G because the .050 only sounds slightly better and it's harder to play, and the .045 is the heaviest gauge I like that I can play easily.