Fender 9050 flats on Peavey T-40?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by eldoryder, Aug 19, 2013.

1. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Hi all-

I just "won" a Peavey T-40 on Feebay which will need its 25-year-old strings replaced. It has a massive (11.5 oz!) chrome steel string-thru bridge and I am concerned that it might put too much "bend" on the flatwound strings.

Does anyone have any experience using flatwounds on a T-40? I would really like to know if I'm going to ruin this set of SS flatwounds I've been waiting to put on the "right" bass.

Pros? Cons? TIA for any info.

Mike in Texas

2. I have a set of semi-flats on mine. I put a brand new set of slinky's on it and while I liked the sound, it was a little too twangy for my tastes.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's not as tight a radius than when you bend it around the tuner..

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    If you're worried about the break angle from them being strung through the body you'll be ok. Labella recommends NOT stringing-thru with their regular flats and they make sets specifically for stringing thru. But to my knowledge Fender has no such disclaimer on your strings so you should be fine.

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I run a set of Fender 9050CL flats on my string through no problem.

5. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence! I have been holding on to these strings for awhile waiting to try them out, and it sounds like the T-40 will be a good candidate. This will be my first experience with flatwounds, and I hope it is a good one.

Again, thanks for all the response!

Mike in Texas

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021