Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 9050 flats...sweet!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 21, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I put a set of Fender 9050Ms on my Jazz last week - damn! That's the sound I hear in my head! (The bass sound, not the voices.)

I think I'm going to try 'em on my new Sterling, too. I may try a set of lights on my Ric.

I take it these things last forever, huh?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like the Fender 9050's and the TI Flats best. I've tried a lot of flats, but these two, while totally different from each other, sound the best to my ears. The 9050's will mellow a little, but they don't lose that fat, URB-ish tone. And yes, they last nearly forever.

I wouldn't put 'em on all my basses, though; I think there's room for roundwounds as well.

3. have you tried them in a jam situation yet? do they cut through?

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hey man... Fender flats. That's what I've been saying all along. :cool: Can't imagine what they sound like on Ric, but I'm sure it's pretty hep!

5. I *love* the way they sound, but they feel a lit3tle sticky to me, and the tension is a little high, but the price is right

Id buy them again, I even think I have an old pair lying around, Ill have to dig them up.

6. I just put some Fender 9050s on my Martin Acoustic/Electric, man I love them on there.... I'm thinking about putting them on my electric too. I do agree they do feel a bit sticky... but all in all I'm really liking them.

7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    fender flats sound amazing...but they are so hard to play fast.if i didnt play music that was fast i would have flats.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Damn good strings, loads o' tone.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    how high are the gauges?

10. .045 - .095, .055 - .105, .050 - .100

However one thing to remember, flatwounds have more tension than rounds do.

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm using the 9050Ms, which are .055~.105 (I think).

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm using the LaBella '54 set (52-110) on my p-bass, but the problem is that the E string isn't quite long enough (about 2mm of the colored part sticks over the nut.) That doesn't seem to alter the tone, but i'm afraid the string will break.

Wouldn't too much tension cause the strings to break, and the neck would warp? In other words, can there be too much tension?

13. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I played the Fender 9050's that came with my fretless jazz bass and I liked them enough. I wanted to try something different though, so I got a set of TI flats. I loved those more and more every day. A couple of days ago I had nothing to do so I put my Fenders back on and could not stand how fat they felt. I guess I got used to the TI's and now any other strings would feel weird. However I think the fenders sounded better down low on the E string. They had more growl and more sound definition. But I still put the TI's back on because I love the way they feel.

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm liking these 9050s more every day - they break in nicely!

15. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I have 9050's on my fretless jazz, infact the same set that was on it when it came in the mail. But anyway I can hardly play roundwounds without cringing, the flats just grow on ya.

16. Pino Palladino uses the heaviest-gauge Fender flats on his vintage Precisions, but since he doesn't want to max the truss rods he detunes them to C# or D.