1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 9050L Flats. Unboxing and Sound Clip

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Jul 11, 2012.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Gavin220168 likes this.
  2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Good balanced tone, nice bite...

What bass did you use? (I'm guessing something with a P in it!:D)

hmmm. .45 - .95 gauge. Are they balanced tensionwise? I have a set of chromes (.45 - .100) and found I had to make adjustments for the E & A being less tense. I gotta try them again :D

3. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    It's a MIA P Bass. They are actually 45-100, not 100. I've tried chromes in a bunch of different sizes and didn't personally notice a ton of difference in the tension between the sets.

As for the Fenders, they seem very balanced to me.

4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Cool... wait, I get the MIA P bit (killer bass) but I got found a shot of the strings... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-9050l-stainless-flatwound-bass-strings

wait.... http://www.samash.com/p/Fender_Fender-9050L-Stainless-Steel-Flatwound-Bass-Strings-045100_-49950871

which has the current packaging, my bad!

Yeah, I don't think the chromes were too off balanced, I found the upper mid emphasis made me dig in more in the lower registers to keep my low mids coming thick and fast (I've a telebass.... no split P low mid 'hump').... I never let them break in fully, I will in a while... right now I'm loving the roto 77's. .45 - 1.05's
    More tension than the chromes but a warmer tone.... It's getting better every day.
    Point being? FLATS RULE!
    next in line... Fenders, TI, LaBella, Pyramid, GHS, DR.... :help:

5. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Yeah, the green ones are the current packaging.

I hear ya on trying a bunch of brands. I currently have tried Chromes, Rotos, GHS Precisions, TIs and now the Fenders.

I loved the sound of the TIs but I just couldn't hang with the low tension. They feel and sound so good though that I might give them another try.

6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    That's the trouble! :p

At least string GAS beats instrument GAS!

The worst thing is you can't find a favourite string... it's always a preferred string for that bass.

Flats are cheaper in the long run though.

7. I suffer from string GAS far more often than bass or amp GAS! Glad I'm not the only one.

8. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Nice tone! I just might try a set of those.

9. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    It's like anything, the grass being greener etc. etc.
    I haven't bought the same set of strings twice :help: but I'm only playing a year so I'm just experimenting. I have found some great ones (roto 66 nickels are the best I've had so far) and some ones I couldn't get into (Chromes due to imbalanced tension... but I'm trying them again!:D).

It's a fun thing, and if nothing else gives me practice setting up instruments!

10. Got a set of fender flats on my fretless, and I love them! I love the feel and the tone is awesome. And the price! Got mine for £15

11. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, Fender flats (new or old) both rock. I have an unused set of the CL flats right here in my desk drawer come to think of it. Bought it during my trials with balanced tension sets - I prefer the traditional - but to each their own.

Those Fenders have a nice "growl" to them. Took 2 different sets for me to love them, for some reason, the set the OP has on (045-100) didn't float with me as well as the 040-100 set. It's weird since only the "G" changed gauges, but that was enough for me to like one over the other.

Wished Fender kept a .095 "E" around like their old versions. I strictly use 040-060-075-095 strings. Bummer, but oh well. Chromes do the trick as well, but lack that certain grind/growl/bite the Fenders have.

12. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Funnily enough I just swapped my roto 77's for my chromes (45's).
    Way more bite, a lot lighter on the hands... hotter output. I am so going to try a set of fenders next. Labellas and GHS precisions seem too dark to be high priority ATM. I'll leave the chromes on for a while and enjoy them finally breaking in. (they've already had about two weeks of moderate play IIRC).

13. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    From my experience, those Roto flats have more of a "zing" than "bite" - which is probably why there are plenty (including myself) that compare their fresh-out-of-the-pack sound closest to rounds. After they start breaking in, they definitely have a sound of their own. So far, I have 3 basses knocked with GHS, D'Addario, and Rotosound flats. Different flatwound sounds on all 3 since each flat sounds a bit different from another - can't just settle on one brand and one bass. A mistake I was making for quite a while thinking 1 bass and 1 set of strings can be used for everything.

But yeah, Chromes, awesome. Also, if you want to try a set a Fender Flats, shoot me a PM. Like I said before, I have an unused set of CL (custom light - 045-105) here NIB. Could sell them to you for like $12 or so. Otherwise, they are just whittling away.

14. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    PBnJ - what do you mean by balanced vs. traditional? Are you saying the Fender flats are a balanced set as opposed to the chromes?

15. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Balanced tension are sets where each string are near identical in pull weight, but are slightly off from one another by 3-5lbs or so. Traditional is the usual gauges where the tension is where the highest to lowest tension strings would be D > G > A > E. Sometimes called (from what I've seen & heard) imbalanced sets.

As far as the new Fender flats are concerned, I believe their Custom Light set is the only balanced set. Their Super Light set has arching tension (G & E have lower tension than the D & A) and the Light, Medium-Light, and Medium sets are progressive tension (G has the most tension and it lessens to the E). There's also players that use reverse tension sets where it's opposite and the E has the highest tension and it lessens with the G having the least.

Fun ways to experiment and as a reminder, I'm talking about tension only, NOT flexibility which has to do more on how the strings are made (round or hex cores, silk or cross-winded steel, etc).

EDIT: Now I remember what I was going to add. "To each their own on tension!" I only added that since there will be players that are less sensitive to tension than others - same for the basses they play (always take care of that neck). Read here and there (especially with flat threads) and everyone will have a different opinion on which sets feel like bridge cables more than others. Unless we're talking about TI flats... been the only string I've seen an unanimous agreement on their "rubber-like" flexibility (for a flatwound) and "one-of-a-kind" sound - love 'em or hate 'em.

16. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Cheers for the offer, I'd probably try them if postage didn't bring them up to fairly near the new price (I'm in Ireland, the other side of the Atlantic :D).
    My next venture into flats will be lighter gauge flats, fenders or TI's. :hyper:

17. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    If you go with TIs, you might not ever try another flat ever again! (But that's a good thing since that will mean you've found your set of strings for your bass!)

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I like the Fender flats a lot.
    But the TI-flats are the best string I ever played.
    Worth every penny.

19. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    I'm coming from TIs... So far the fenders feel like home. The TIs just didn't suit my playing on a p bass. I have them on an old mim jazz now and they are feeling great

20. DuShauh

DuShauh

Aug 29, 2011
    West Michigan
    Anyone compare the Fender's to Sadowsky Flats? They were my favorite flatwound...But I have had a few break on me recently. Not good.