1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 9050M strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Just wondering about the tension on these. A higher tension string doesn’t bother my playing, just wondering if the neck of my Affinity PJ will be compromised. Thanks for any input/advice.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Unless something is wrong with the neck, it'll be fine.

3. Cool! Thanks Gorn.

4. I use Fender 9050l flat wounds on all my basses, i like them

5. Cool... thanks for the response.

6. vancityjoe

vancityjoe

Jul 30, 2018
    Can anyone speak to a tension comparison between these strings and Labella 760 flats (the 54 originals)?

I love the tension of the labella 760s and am looking for other strings of similar tension.

Linnin likes this.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The Fender 9050M set is damned high tension and very close the LaBella's Jamerson set. I think the Fenders sound better and aren't as stiff as the LaBellas. Here's my review.
    Fender 9050M Stainless Steel Flatwound

8. vancityjoe

vancityjoe

Jul 30, 2018
    Good review!

I have 4 basses. 2 have flats, 2 have tape wounds:
    Fender Jazz w/ GHS precisions on EMG silvers
    Fender 50's P w/ Labella 54's on Tone Emporium TE-08
    Squier Jaguar w/ D'addario black tapes over Quarter Pound PJs
    Homebaked P w/ Labella white tapes over Dimarzio Model P

Not a huge fan of the low tension labella tapes. they sound good but they flop around too much for my taste. I want to change them to some high tension strings over a lower output pickup. The model p is great but its pretty hot. I have a hand wound pickup coming from a quy in quebec for that guitar, it should be lower output than the dimarzio. I am just shopping for the strings. Since flats are pretty expensive, i cant just buy some randomly to try.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Linnin likes this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Thank You
    You're Welcome! Happy to help. :thumbsup: