Fender 9050's... wow, just... wow...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by John K., Mar 15, 2003.

1. Today was a good day. I went to this meeting in Seattle to get some info about financial aid for college and what not. After the meeting, I remembered I was about 6 blocks away from, that's right, Bass Northwest.

I wandered around for a bit, just staring at basses, drooling and GASsin' of course. I went over to check their selection of strings and asked for some Labella flats. Unfortunately (or maybe not...), they didn't have any Jamerson's or Deep Talkin's in stock, just the Tapewounds. So I see the Fender flats, and thinkin' back, I remembered all the things people said about em... and wow...

Everything is true about these strings. Put em on my jazz, and boy, they are deep... DEEP! They feel so smooth to the touch and are pretty high in tension (I LOVE that about these strings). I can't wait for that "new string brightness" to go away, I'm sure that these will last me a while. I think these may be the strings for me. I'm gonna try the LaBella's (soon hopefully) and compare them to the Fender flats. I really love these strings, it's like Heaven. Buttery, smooth, deep, thick, heavy. Just what I wanted.

So who here uses em? How long have you had them on your bass(es)?

Here's to old school thump!
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Huh..I haven't tried them simply because I hated fender's roundwounds so much. I don't use anyhtign but flat or half-flats anymore as well... From what you describe, the Fender flats sound very much like D'Addario Chromes-thick, heavy, high tension, smooth, and deep. The Chromes are $45 a set fpr a 5 string however..fairly pricey. What do teh Fender's run?
  3. I got mine for $20 for a 4 string set. I'm not sure if they make 5 string sets, I'll check the Fender website though.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been using 9050Ms on just about everything for over a year now.
  5. Just checked the Fender website. There are no 5 string 9050 sets.
  6. I use 7250's, simply..., well good strings
  7. Well, it's been 4 days since I installed these babies, and let me tell ya, once they lose that initial brightness, the tone just gets better. Gotta go play again!!!
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    +1 my SIT flats are 6 months old and still improving :cool:
  9. I use flats on my Fender Precision, and I just love them. Fender 9050M's .... they just rock. I also love the tension the flats have too.
  10. I love how the G isn't an annoying piece of steel anymore, it sounds great. It's not overly bright and has very little zing. Great stuff.
  11. i've never tried any other flats so i can't compare, but i do love the 9050s on my washburn. i've had them on for the better part of a year now. love that high tension and thump. funny thing... i considered the bass to have bad action when i had roundwounds on it. but with flats, the action is almost perfect.
  12. What is the typical lifetime of 9050M strings?
  13. Ummmm thats I think subjective. I know people that use their flats for 6 months to a year, and they still sound like flats. I tend to change mine a little bit more than that though.