Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 9050's?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Apr 29, 2001.

1. Hey everyone, I need some help again. I'm looking at getting some Fender 9050's through juststrings.com, and I just want t bit of advise. I've heard very good things about them, I want to play them on my Yamaha RBX260 fretless, right now I have TI Jazz Flats, and while I like the tone, I find them a bit thin and floppy. I pretty much want a smooth tone, while still punchy when I need it. Any suggestions?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The 9050's sound very URB-ish to me on a fretless. That's good if that's what you're looking for. I personally like them better than the TI Jazz flats. You won't be lacking in the thump department with 9050's. They are a LOT stiffer than the TI's. The 45-95 set is plenty stiff, but I like the 50-100's better, because the G sounded a lot better on my Precision.

The TI's are much heavier in the mids than the Fenders, so it depends on what you are looking for. The Fenders are also very smooth strings in terms of feel. You will probably need to adjust your truss rod if you're switching from TI's.

Also, I know you didn't ask for a comparison with GHS Precision Flatwounds, but they're pretty similar to the Fenders. I found the Fenders to be more even-sounding on my basses. As always, YMMV, etc.

3. oh. goody. how do I do that? thanks for the info though.

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive tried those but to me they're just,ok.The TI's i LOVE!!!Good luck!

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have a Fender MIM Jazz bass that is strung with Fender 9050ML's. Man, they have a FAT sound. I play a lot of 50's and 60's music, and to me, they sound and feel great. If you're really into following your drummers kick drum, IMHO, you can't go wrong with them.
    Hope this helped.

6. Fender 9050s are my absolute favorite flatwound. They have the most thump per inch of any flat out there. They are smooth as glass and easy to play. They are also very taught in feel. You will find absolutely no floppiness or loose feeling with these strings. There aren't a lot of highs, but I don't buy and use flats for highs.

My second favorite is D'Addario. I use these when I need a 5-string set since Fender in their infinite wisdom (stupidity) does not make a 5-string set in the 9050s.

But for a 4-string, the Fenders are the best for the old style thump that I like. And if your 4-string is a P-Bass, or equivalent, you've got a marriage made in Bass Heaven.

7. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    I bought these by mistake when I first started playing and was the best mistake I've made. I swear by these things. I use them on my MIM Jazz and they feel and sound great. I hate the sound of new roundwounds, but was consideing buying a set of TI's from what I've read on TB. I like that midrange punch, and with my DiMarzios and the 9050s, my tone couldn't be better. Now what I read here, the TI's are opposite in everything but the midrange tone in what I like about the 9050s. Let us know how you like the Fenders in comparison to the TI's, I'd be interesting in knowing. If the 9050s are good enough to convert you, gives me reason to beleive I should stay. That is, unless I feel like trying something new.

8. Hey again,
    Thanks for all the feedback, the Fender's sound like great strings. Although I've decided that I can't really afford a new set of strings right now. I've recently decided to save up for a new Fender Jazz Bass, and I need all the money I can save. Hee hee, I like Fenders. If I do have money left at the end of the summer though, I'm definately buying new strings.