1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender A Width Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by collicsws6z28, Oct 3, 2013.

1. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    I bought a vintage Fender P - 75 with a 72 neck. Haven't received it yet. It has an A width neck. Will this neck be smoother to play compared to modern era P Bass necks?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's J bass width, 1.5" at the nut...

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It's a Precision neck (4 bolt, truss tod nut at the heel, etc.) that is 1.5" wide at the nut. None of that really determines how "smooth" it plays. Nut width has no real bearing on the neck contour, quality of fret work, or how it's set up.

As I find narrow necks that are deep front-to-back much less comfy than a wide neck that is shallow front-to-back, I would say, "No, it won't be smoother". You may find it more comfortable however.

John

4. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    I have a 76 P with the A neck you're talking about. It's definitely not thin front to back like the modern C-shaped necks, nor is it thin and wide like some of the modern multi-string basses. It's more of a U-shape. It's very thin at the nut and gets nice and beefy as you ascend the neck, unlike the modern stuff which feels way skinny to me with not enough wood.