1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Acoustic P-Bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ingemar, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Anyone recognizing this bass?
    I think it was a limited serie (not custombuilt)
    Came in fretted version to

d4709.

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Check out this page for some info from an owner:

http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html

He had this one and a later model. He also has had some serious GAS over the years and has quite a collection.

3. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Thanks
    I visited the link but I was unable to se any pic's

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    This unusual bass is a '92 Fender A/E (Acoustic/Electric) Precision, made in Japan for a short run in the early 90's. It has a Lace Sensor p-bass pickup and a piezo saddle pickup in the bridge, with a pan pot to balance their output, and has an onboard preamp. The spruce top/mahogany body finish is a bit beat up, but after a good deal of work on the rosewood fingerboard and pickup mounts along with some setup work, it sounds and feels quite good. It has an interesting character that I quite enjoy.

I gave in to impulse and bought this new old stock 1990 or 91 Fender HMT bass on eBay. You may note that I have a fretless Fender A/E bass, shown above -- this is a later fretted version with a more rock 'n roll-styled neck, but it is otherwise the same. It has a Lace p-bass pickup along with an unbuffered piezo bridge pickup. Very light, but well balanced, the neck is jazz width and very slim.