Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Acoustic P-Bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ingemar, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Anyone recognizing this bass?
    I think it was a limited serie (not custombuilt)
    Came in fretted version to

[​IMG]

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Check out this page for some info from an owner:

http://www.gollihur.com/bass.html

He had this one and a later model. He also has had some serious GAS over the years and has quite a collection.

3. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Thanks
    I visited the link but I was unable to se any pic's

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    This unusual bass is a '92 Fender A/E (Acoustic/Electric) Precision, made in Japan for a short run in the early 90's. It has a Lace Sensor p-bass pickup and a piezo saddle pickup in the bridge, with a pan pot to balance their output, and has an onboard preamp. The spruce top/mahogany body finish is a bit beat up, but after a good deal of work on the rosewood fingerboard and pickup mounts along with some setup work, it sounds and feels quite good. It has an interesting character that I quite enjoy.

I gave in to impulse and bought this new old stock 1990 or 91 Fender HMT bass on eBay. You may note that I have a fretless Fender A/E bass, shown above -- this is a later fretted version with a more rock 'n roll-styled neck, but it is otherwise the same. It has a Lace p-bass pickup along with an unbuffered piezo bridge pickup. Very light, but well balanced, the neck is jazz width and very slim.