Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Active Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Nov 17, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Any thoughts on the Fender Active Jazz bass? I got a smokin deal on one and put it on lay away. I played at at GC on a Ampeg350 head? and an Ampeg 6x10 cab. I liked the sound and loved the feel. I think on my Eden head and some DR strings it would sound huge. Anybody else play one of these active Fenders?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have MIM Deluxe Jazz... beefy as hell.

3. ghetto911

ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    I have a Mexican Deluxe Jazz Bass. I'm assuming this is the one you mean. I like mine quite a bit, though it doesn't hurt that I put on a Badass II bridge. This made a big improvement on the original sound and playability of the bass. I hope you enjoy yours. And I hope you get a good deal (those bozos at Guitar Center sold me my bass for just $300!).

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

Badass II bridge? enlighten me please. This is my first Fender so I am unaware of what you are talking about.

5. ghetto911

ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    This is a replacement for the stock Fender bass bridge. It's made by Leo Quann, I think. You might not see any need for it, but I absolutely love mine. It's basically just bigger and sturdier (and much more gorgeous) than the stock bridge. I think it improved my bass a lot, but I'm guessing a lot of people don't see any need for them.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    What do they retail for?

7. ghetto911

ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Mine was $50. Unfortunately, you have to cut grooves into the saddles or it doesn't really work so great. I took it to a local shop to have this done, and I think it was about $50 with a full setup, too. You might find the bridge slightly cheaper on Ebay. You might also be able to make the grooves yourself.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks Ghetto911!

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Fender makes a bunch off active basses, which bass are you refering to? and do you know where it was made? In order to give you a better idea on what you have and what you can do we need to know what model. All Fender basses would not benefit from certain upgrades and may even detract from the sound and bass.

10. Check out the Gotoh 201 4 String Bass Bridge.

They have more mass than the stock MIM or MIJ Fender. Still able to fit a bridge cover over it. No drilling required.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Mexican Deluxe Jazz Bass. What do ya think?

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks Treena, do you think it would make that much of a difference? What other upgrades in any would you recommend.

13. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have a MIA one that I had to install Hipshot Ultralite tuners on because the neck was so heavy. Works fine now.

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have one of those too. The only change I made was the bridge. I installed a badassII bridge( direct drop in replacement) decent electronics (MIA). I also changed the tort pick guard to a white pearloid.

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yeah, I have the black too. The first thing I will do is get another pick guard.