Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender active jazz deluxe V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cjsh, May 18, 2003.

1. cjsh

cjsh

Apr 23, 2003
    I just bought a used Fender jazz deluxe 5, active, MIM for my son.

There are 4 knobs. the second knob is pan pot control. what is pan pot control? I don't play a guitar so I have no idea what it is.

thanks

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You got a nice bass for your son. The Pan control is a pickup selector. In the middle both pickups are on full & as you turn it, you'll ease off one p/u.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The DLX jazz bass unlike the passive version only has 1 volume knob, thus the pan knob switches between the two pickups and at center detent both pups are on full. Hope this helps.

4. cjsh

cjsh

Apr 23, 2003
    Thanks.. I will tell my 15-year-old son who is very excited about his new 5 string bass.

I have one more question if you don't mind.

what kind of string do you recommend for this bass?

BTW. I paid $300 for this one with hard case. It has sun burst color and in excellent condition. Is it good price?

5. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    IMO thats a great price if its in good condition...

if you really want to make the bass look 1000x better get a tortoise shell jazz bass pickguard

pickguards.com

6. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Warmoth has pickguards as well. Pickgaurds.com seem to be a little on the pricey side to me.

GS

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    No offense Matt, but I think that's a rather subjective statement. ;) Some of us tend to think those toirtise shell p/g's look liek someone threw up their lunch on the bass. :D:)