1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender active jazz deluxe V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cjsh, May 18, 2003.

1. cjsh

cjsh

Apr 23, 2003
    I just bought a used Fender jazz deluxe 5, active, MIM for my son.

There are 4 knobs. the second knob is pan pot control. what is pan pot control? I don't play a guitar so I have no idea what it is.

thanks

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You got a nice bass for your son. The Pan control is a pickup selector. In the middle both pickups are on full & as you turn it, you'll ease off one p/u.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The DLX jazz bass unlike the passive version only has 1 volume knob, thus the pan knob switches between the two pickups and at center detent both pups are on full. Hope this helps.

4. cjsh

cjsh

Apr 23, 2003
    Thanks.. I will tell my 15-year-old son who is very excited about his new 5 string bass.

I have one more question if you don't mind.

what kind of string do you recommend for this bass?

BTW. I paid $300 for this one with hard case. It has sun burst color and in excellent condition. Is it good price?

5. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    ^^^ Didn't I look cool in high school?
    IMO thats a great price if its in good condition...

if you really want to make the bass look 1000x better get a tortoise shell jazz bass pickguard

pickguards.com

6. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Warmoth has pickguards as well. Pickgaurds.com seem to be a little on the pricey side to me.

GS

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    No offense Matt, but I think that's a rather subjective statement. ;) Some of us tend to think those toirtise shell p/g's look liek someone threw up their lunch on the bass. :D:)