1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Active jazz v Ibanez ATK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazyhorse, Sep 29, 2008.

1. crazyhorse

crazyhorse

May 28, 2006
    which one has a better tone

Fender MIM jazz or Ibby ATK 300

2. bassplayertom77

bassplayertom77

Sep 24, 2008
    Which tastes better? Apples or oranges?

3. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Totally personal

But the correct answer IS the ATK

4. crazyhorse

crazyhorse

May 28, 2006
    would you have both if you could?

5. The ATK will likely sound better, or different, but the Fender will have some resale value. Personally, I love my ATK 700 and it blows away most of my five other Fenders. I hate to admit that, actually, bit it is what it is.

6. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Sure I would, if someone was to offer them to me for free.

But to cover as much sonic territory as possible I would get an ATK and a Precision. The ATK doesn't have a neck pup and it can't get a very boomy, smooth sound. It can do a jazz bridge pup pretty well though.

And that's exactly what I have. An ATK300 and an SX P (actually PJ, but the J doesn't get used much)

7. crazyhorse

crazyhorse

May 28, 2006
    do you miss the active tone/versatility on the SX?

8. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Not really, for passive vs. active one isn't really better than the other. Sure I like having the 3 knob eq on the ATK, but I get along fine with just the single sx tone knob. I'm not an EQ whore though.

9. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    me thinks u are trying to compare a MM style bass to a fender jazz bass...which has been done ad nauseum.... try to compare apples to apples ....MMs have there great place, and so do fender jazzes........ no wrong choice here, just personal taste!!!!!

Go fo whatever sounds great to u!!

Good luck

Bill

10. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    I prefer my J's passive, so I would lean more towards the ATK, which I have played and the tone is awesome! There is also a lot of versatility within that triple coil pickup on the Ibby IMO.

11. crazyhorse

crazyhorse

May 28, 2006
    well i have an ATK and i love the sound but i want a thinner neck, thats why im looking for an active jazz

i was just wondering if the sound was comperable, i know if i got a passive i would miss that active tone

maybe i could run a passive through an EQ pedal?