Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender active jazz vs. washburn 2002

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmpiwonka, Aug 19, 2002.

1. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    played the 2002 at a music shop today and liked how it played and sounded....really don't like the looks of them though, or any washburns for that matter.
    i was considering the fender active jazz before that but haven't been able to play one to hear it and feel it.
    with both basses having active pickups and (i think) the same adjustability with the controls are these two going to sound somewhat similar.
    the only other thing is the washburn has the string through body bridge where the jazz is the regular bridge....how much if any difference in sound playability etc.
    the washburn was nice but i just can't get the picture of a white or black jazz bass with the tortoiseshell pickguard out of my head......aaahhhhhhh.
    the washburn was natural finish by the way.
    also i am not in real big hurry to buy one as i have a standup to play on right now.

2. my '97 MIA fender jazz deluxe has the option of stringing through the body as well, but i dont know if that's available on the MIM jazz deluxes as well. if you're lookin at the MIAs then i can personally tell you taht i love mine. the tone and playability is awesome. i cannot, however, weigh in on the washburns, never tried one.

Joel

3. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I own a 5 String Washburn that has 3 control knobs and a Big A** HumBucker Pickup like a Stingray. I don't know the model number cause im at work, but I do know it is an excellent Bass. I also own a Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe V and it is also an excellent Bass. Hard Choice. I Like both ALOT.. You can not string thru on a MIM Deluxe but you can with the Washburn and I DO. I guess I would choose my Washburn over the Fender for now.

BOTH are EXCELLENT!!

4. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i own a MIA fender jazz deluxe, and i love it! the tonal range and tweaking is beautiful. i ordered it to my specifications (it is NOT a custom shop) through a fender dealer. when it came in it had the through the the body string bridge on it already. and i dont remember an option for the string through body bridge. i think the american deluxe comes stock with the string through body, whereas the mexican is just the plain simple bridge.

i've never played a washborn, but like some people say, you can't go wrong with a fender! the fender american jazz deluxe is a great instrument if you have the mulah. i hope i helped you, good luck!