Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Active P Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Hey, I'm having major gas for the P bass special (non MIA) and I love it. It's exactly what I want in the specs, but I would like to know from owner's or people who have played them if they are any good. I Love the Fender Jazz neck, and I like the p bass body, and blue and gold go together.

Pro's and Con's?

Should I go with this and save some money, or go with an Aerodyne?

Help is appreciated

Greg

2. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    I 've played them not for me but if you like go for it

The old Cliche' " Just play one and if you like it buy it"

:D

If the future is now........?
    What was yuesterday?

3. I would say Aerodyne, just because i want one too!

4. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I have a 2000 MIM P Bass Special (non active). I like it, it gets plenty of playing time along side my MIA Jazz. Very good value. Plays great, sounds good. I did replace the bridge with a BAII.

It is a MIM so make sure you find a good one.

Can't comment on the Aerodyne.

5. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i am also wanting a fender active p-bass special, so keep the comments coming on this lol

6. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Musician's Friend was selling these for $449 last month. I almost bought an active to go along with my passive P Bass special.

7. deluxeg

deluxeg

May 5, 2001
    I have the older non-active MIM P-Bass Special. I really like how it sounds and plays. I think the sound I get with both pickup's full on is really awesome so if you play one and like it I would see no reason not to get it.

8. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i live in the u.k so its about that price anyway over here but in pounds, could someone clear this up for me, is this bass good for slap? my cuz seems to have it drilled into his head that it is not a good bass for slaping with, but hes never played one he its just what hes been told, and he only seems to like lly expensive basses, he doesnt even seem to look at basses under 1000 pound lol, i told him i was after a p-bass deluxe, and he hadnt even heard of a deluxe, and he was like, u might as well just get a fender jaz or musicman, i think thats the only 2 basses hes heard of lol, but anyway, i cant afford a bass that expensive yet, so is this bass deffinitly werth buying, and what sites can anybody recomend for ordering one from? that is if i dont buy one from a shop

9. ah man that sucks, you have the same problem as me (rip off britain), you should look into ebay for gear, some seriously good gear for not much out there

Also, Music123.com ship to the uk ~$100 shipping, but you have to pay import tax, customs handling and VAT ontop of it, so no real savings

If you decide to go for an Aerodyne the best way to get it is direct from japan, not sure for the other one tho

And i'll just say, there are a hell of alot of good basses for under a grand :)

10. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I played a few of these at the same visit to my shop a few months ago. I almost bought one based on sound alone.
    I actually put it on hold, but cancelled it. First of all, they all had *something* wrong with them. One had a pickgard whose gold finish was wrinkled (they are cheezy plastic gaurds, not anodized aluminum like they're trying to look like). Another had a big gap in the neck joint, and the 3rd had a fretboard that wasn't parallel to the nut on the headstock. It played well, but it looked ugly. If you can find a good one then go for it.

They sound great! But the quality in my experience is pretty bad - if you consider 0 for 3 bad, which I do. They play just fine and sound very good, but to me they just felt cheap. I ended up picking up a sunburst MIM Deluxe Active Jazz they had on the wall. That bass was solid. I still have it but it has vecome my #2 next to my MIJ Marcus Miller.

11. deluxeg

deluxeg

May 5, 2001
    The pickguard on my 2001 model is real anodized aluminum. Sucks that they changed it.

12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have a 2000 MIM Special. I love it. I changed to EMG's and put a Bad Ass II bridge on it. I also added a active 18v PreAmp. Unfortunately, the luthier hogged out a back panel and added a cover plate to it. Awesome basses that are very well constructed and the necks have a great feel. Mine is the Sunburst with a Maple/Maple neck.

13. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    hmm i was likeing the start of ur post, but the rest makes me wounder wether to get an active p-bass special now, is there any other basses u recomend in the p-basses price range that sounds just as good and is good for slap?

14. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I wouldn't rule out the possiblility that I just happened to run into 3 flawed basses in a row. Remember that all these flaws were purely cosmetic and the "cheapness" I felt was probably influenced by what I saw with my eyes. If I closed my eyes and played any one of those basses, I would have been in love.

I can't recommend anything from experience. The guitar was my main squeeze for 13 years :ninja: before I turned to the dark side a little less than 2 years ago. I'm happy where I'm at now though.

I would, based on what I've read and heard clips of, recommend a G&L Tribute L-2000. Of course, they have a P-sized neck, whereas the bass you're looking at has a nice tapered Jazz Neck.

15. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I think the building issue's may be there because it's MIM, but there are some good MIM basses out there, so I wouldn't doubt that they make decent P bass specials.

Greg

16. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    can anyone give me any adive to what to look out for if i go into a shop to check on of these out, like just basic stuff on the body to look for to see if its a good quality one or something

17. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I feel the best advice is that none of us here can give you advise that is perfect for you. You have to decide if the bass feels good, looks good and sounds good. It has to be a one on one thing. If the first bass you pick up is nasty, try another one. I am fortunate. I have several luthiers that can help with several things that I might find wrong with a bass. Dents dings scratches are all deductions in price, but if you want perfect, then find perfect. It is all depending on what you want in a bass, Right down to color, pick guard and screws. Everything is changeable.

18. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    ok kool, i'm not to bothered about how it looks as long as it isnt really badly hidiouse, i'm mroe bothered about the sound, but yeah, ill just go with my opinion, i cant wait to get one tho lol, ill nt be gettin one for another 2 or 3 month tho

19. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    We, as always, Want Pics@!!!!! :hyper: :D

20. I own one, the output from the pickups is insane - so much output, the sound is fantastic too, one thing I've found though is that the pickups are too hot to record with...

p.s. Fit a Badass 2 bridge as soon as you can - massive improvement