1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Aerodyne A-string popping out

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wait what, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Wait what

Wait what

Mar 14, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey, Talkbassers.

I've been playing my Aerodyne for the past six or seven years and recently the A-string has been pumping out of the nut. The angle at which it comes off the nut to the peg is significantly shallower than any of the other strings (there is a screw that tucks the D- and G-strings halfway up the head). The popping is not just annoying, but it seems to be damaging the nut itself, which makes the string more likely to pop out. And further damage the nut.

[emoji of the self-damaging-bass-event-horizon]

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks!

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Leave enough length on the A string that it will wrap all the way down the post of the tuner. That will maximize the downward angle from the nut. If that doesn't work you may need a string tree for the A and/or a new nut.

3. Wait what

Wait what

Mar 14, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks, lz.

Unfortunately, the strings that I put on were just long enough to make it to the tuning posts. Maybe time for new strings, though.

4. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I cut my strings long enough to reach a little more than two tuning machines past the post for the string. Wrap down as you wind. That will help push the A string down. And new Fenders have something they call a stealth A string retainer. Maybe if all else fails you can buy and install new Fender machines.

Gvernon likes this.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Until you get new strings and leave enough wraps on the A post, you can put a zip tie on the post to hold the string low to the deck.

6. Wait what

Wait what

Mar 14, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    @96tbird That's not too bad of an idea. Thanks!

7. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    Number please?

'17 Precision Pro
    '17 Precision Pro V

Attached Files: