1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Fender Aerodyne AJB-M: Medium Scale JJ, MIJ non-export 2010

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by theschnitt, Apr 26, 2020.

1. theschnitt

theschnitt

Jan 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Price:
    Strings:
    A very rare bird, this is a medium scale (32") JJ Aerodyne built for the Japanese market not for export in around 2010. Color is dolphin grey? The guy I got it from called it dolphine grey, whatever, it's really cool, it looks black in low-light, blue in room light, and contains sparkles that pop in a subtle way under stage lights. Plays, sounds and looks awesome,and has a S/P switch that gives it a little extra under the hood. Medium scale is a blast, IMO it has the increased playablility of a shorty with the harmonic complexity of a long-scale.

Several solid upgrades: DiMarzio Area J pickups, Richter control plate (incl. pots and knobs) with series/parallel toggle, Hipshot USA ultralight tuners. Balance is perfect now w/ no neck dive on lap or strap. Sale includes original tuners and original control plate w/ original pots and knobs mounted.

This bass plays super easy, it takes a low setup with no buzzing, sounds like a classic passive jazz bass: thump to burp, scoop to slap, it's all there. In series mode it'll get wild n' wooly, great for dub and I like this setting for pick play as well. Beautifully built with great attention to detail (neck joint is super tight). Binding is gorgeous. Sculpted neck heel is sexy AF. No issues with electronics, truss rod, or structural integrity. Pickups are dead quiet even when soloed (they're HBs).

It's always a good sign when a 10 year old bass has been played, and this one has. There is one nick by the control plate and a smaller one on the headstock, both are visible in the photos. There is some minor player wear (swirling) that I did not notice until I took these pictures on 4/25/20, it looks worse in the pics than in real life. Finally, the skunk stripe is a little bit depressed into the neck over the last 2-3 inches at the nut end of the neck. Evidently this is common for MIJ basses of this era. I tried to photograph it but I could not get it to show up. It's maybe the depth of a piece of paper. I was going to sand it down, but I kinda like it, it's like a little landmark to tell me where I am without looking. I can feel it but I don't find it distracting, in other words.

To get a bass like this today you'd have to physically go to Japan and find one. Fender Japan didn't export 'em and they don't make this model any longer. It took me months of scouring the classifieds to finally land one. I have put the original strap buttons back rather than the pictured Schallers.

Comes with a Fender gig bag that the guy I got it from described as having"partially functioning" zippers. Also includes the extra original hardware described above. Strung w/ DR Black Beauties.

$950 plus shipping. Not interested in specific trades given that I have no specific work right now, but you never know, you know. Run anything by me, I'm so freaking bored anything could capture my imagination at this point! DSC02538.jpg DSC02540.jpg DSC02542.jpg DSC02543.jpg DSC02545.jpg DSC02551.jpg DSC02553.jpg DSC02556.jpg DSC02560.jpg DSC02563.jpg DSC02565.jpg DSC02566.jpg DSC02570.jpg DSC02572.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  2. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Gold Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    I own this exact model in CAR and your description of the balance and playability is spot on. These are fantastic instruments. The pickup upgrade is a nice bonus (even with shielding, the stock pups are a little noisy).

GLWTS!

RodRy and theschnitt like this.
  3. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Do you know the weight?

4. theschnitt

theschnitt

Jan 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I was really trying to avoid the bathroom scale after 6 weeks of sheltering-in-place, but TB gonna TB.

7.5 lbs on my scale, which measures in 0.5 lb increments.

BK bassist and JDLowEnd like this.
  5. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Thanks man, sorry for the hassle, I appreciate it.

6. DoctorZee

DoctorZee Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2018
    New York / New Jersey
    :drool: Oh my god, that finish...

theschnitt likes this.
  7. theschnitt

theschnitt

Jan 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    No hassle at all, just trying to deflect from my poor dietary habits the last couple of months. . .

8. manchego_eggo

manchego_eggo Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2019
    I had one of these in white which I traded to a fellow TB'er recently. I also had Area J's in mine and they made the bass come alive. GLWTS!

theschnitt likes this.
  9. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Back when they were new, I had this exact model, same color. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Very nice bass, GLWTS!

theschnitt likes this.
  10. tleeitsme

tleeitsme Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Somebody better scoop this up. Fender makes a KILLER 32” bass. Glwts

Jeff Elkins and theschnitt like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021