Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Aerodyne, and Yamaha SBV500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hey guys
    I'm in Japan and of course I spent most of my time bass shopping. I tried a yamaha sbv500 and it was amazing ,the only thing is, the guy at the shop made sure to plug it into a ampeg svt, so of course it's going to sound amazing, I've read a little bit about these basses, so until I buy an svt and 810, I don't think it'll sound quite as good, maybe I'll learn the japanese for "can I try another amp?" , but then I tried a fender aerodyne, of course the japanese version, and it seemed really cool, I did a search and there seems to be mixed opinions, should I buy it? I have a fender precision back home, but this is a little different, I like it. My precision doesn't go too deep, which is wierd, it's almost as if the aerodyne goes deeper. I would of course replace the nut, replace the bridge with a badass and the pickups with seymour duncans, and I think then i'd have a pretty respectable bass, but what do you guys think? If you all hate the aerodyne that much, tell me why and I'll keep it in mind for the next time I go check it out

2. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    ah, sorry, that message is very lengthy but I just want to ask another question, if I add the seymour duncan quarter pounder pups, will it make the setup a bit bassier? I was thinking of tuning it BEAD or drop C or something, I'm a little weary of the basswood body :(

3. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    *cough* bump? :D :bassist:

4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have an aerodyne and I think the stock pickups sound great very powerful and punchy.
    I see you want to change the nut and bridge why?

5. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    It's kind of a personal thing, I can't stand a stock bridge, I'm wierd like that, the nut is most likely not going to be changed, but the pickups seem to need to be changed if I do buy it, but I don't know, it's really a fender tone but I know if I go with another bass I'll regret it, damnit, it looks so nice! :eyebrow: but the yamaha sounded better, I'm really weary of buying a $200 bass though, it sounded really cool though, aaah...

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    It’s a comfortably bass light, thin, sounds good. I bought mine used on e-bay for $400.00
    I really doesn’t do the P or J thing exact but for the money it does a lot.

7. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    ah, thanks! how deep does it go compared to other basses? Would a set of aftermarket pickups help it go deeper? I'm thinking of stringing it BEAD, but I don't know if that'll just make it mud, or if it might make it deep and growly, I can't help but fall in love with the looks, it's pure class

8. I just recently (last thursday) purchased an Aerodyne (jp model). This thing is amazing! Very clear deep lows, the bridge pup has more growl than most basses i've tried. Incredibly light and comfortable. And the finish/contruction is top notch.

The sbv500 is an interesting bass too. It's has two jazz pups. I'd say that it's pretty much sounds like any decent jazz bass. The only thing I don't about it is the neck, It's HUGE, and after playing and prefering a slim jazz neck, I find it difficult to play.

Both basses sound very good. But I prefer a PJ set up. For me, the Aerodyne is better for what I do.

9. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    may I ask what you play mostly? I'm looking at both of these as a rock bass, maybe adding some light distortion to both, but I want something different. If the SBV500 just sounds like a jazz bass ( I havent played too many ) then I'm sure I could dial in something similar to that sound with the Aerodyne. I really want some nice lows with it, but at the store it sounded dull and lifeless. I dropped it down to a D and I could tell the strings on it were quite dead, and I was playing on a pretty bad amp ( I won't say the name so I don't get yelled at :D ) have you tuned any lower than standard? if so, what kind of sounds did you get? Deep and growly, or just deep and flat? My precision back home gets really flat when it's deep, but I'm wondering if I should buy the SBV500 and when I get home just throw a jazz pup in the precision? aah, so many decisions

10. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    The model without pickguard has a stronger built bridge and
    the model with pickguard (that one has the standard "tin can" bridge).
    I m thinking of changing the pickups, because though I love
    the sound, the jazz hisses quite alot. I will change them to
    duncan quarterpounds in a month or so, I ll let you know
    how that works out.
    I absolutely love this bass, so have all my bassist friends,
    I really have hard time imagining getting a yamaha instead of
    it, though I havent played the mentioned yamaha model.

I hope this helps a bit.

11. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    oh and another thing, if the aerodyne sounded dead in the shop,
    it must be the strings. The factory strings on it died in 4 hours or so, and I really mean died.

12. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    ok I played it through another amp, and it's actually a great bass, but it turns out the price is like $400 with gig bag included, so I don't think I can turn it down!

13. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    An SBV500 has been my main bass for just over 4 years. It's a decent instrument that sounds like any similarly-priced Jazz-style bass.

I'm surprised by BoognishMang's comments: the SBV500 has a Jazz-shape neck - very easy to get around on.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Speaking of the Aerodyne, Billy Siegle @ Fender told me that they're redesigning them. There are going to be more color choices and fret board options. He has a maroon one sitting in his office.

15. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    yeah, I actually found the SBV500 to be easier to play on than the aerodyne, which is wierd. I'm quite content with black on black on black on black :D

16. maybe i typed it wrong...? The yamaha neck is HUGE. It's the thickest neck I've ever played. Very hard for stretching.
    I play rock/punk. I'm paying my Aerodyne thru a ampeg B2R with a 1x15 and a 4x10. I found the Aerodyne has a more versatile sound.

17. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    ah perfect, just what I wanted to hear! rock and punk, definetally what I'm into, do you find it's more deep or more of a growl? Actually, how would you best describe the sound? Do you have any pictures? :D

18. Well, Here I'm going to compare my Cali Special to the Aerodyne.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think that the Aerodyne is everything that the Cali Special is +1.
    Less weight, deeper more clearer lows from the split coil pup and more growl from the Jazz pup. No hiss from the jazz pup either. I play it with both volumes at full, and the tone knob at mid point. This sounds incredibly good going thru a Fulltone Bassdrive with not too much overdrive in the vintage setting. I'm also using an Ampeg B2R with the Gain cranked up and using the Master to control the overall volume.
    My sound ranges from Joy Division to The Minutemen to Moistboyz to Iron Maiden.
    I don't know what tone you are seeking, but this seems to work for me.
    As far as the SBV500 goes... it has great tone like any other decent jazz (as i said before), but I think the shape is it's selling point if you can play a fat, neck diving, one of a kind bass.