Fender Aerodyne Bass Guitar - Opinions/Reviews

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonc, Feb 4, 2005.

1. jasonc

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hi, I was just wondering if any of you might own, or have experience with a Fender Aerodyne Jazz 4 stringer...

I know there are the ones from Japan and the Exports. The difference being the Japan ones have chrome knobs and control cover, has inlayed/dotted fretboard, and comes in colors whereas the exports are all black, black knobs, black control cover and NO inlays.

I am thinking of getting one. Just want to know how they sound "figuratively" and what I should expect to pay - or what you paid? Any info on this would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

2. I own several high-end basses, and I was very impressed with the Aerodyne. I went to a GC and was playing one through a SWR workinman's 15 combo, and the guy who worked there was on the other side and could only see my head, and he said "are you playing that new Warrior?" He couldn't believe it was the Aerodyne. There were a couple of kids there looking at Warwicks and the guy was trying to get them to buy the Warwick. I started playing them and comparing them to the Aerodyne, and the kids could even tell that the Fender was a better sounding, more versatile instrument. The kid ended up buying one.

I was very impressed and they sound and play great. I'm not a big fan of the looks (other than the no inlays on the neck - that is pretty slick). They are great basses!
  3. rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    search around, there are quite a few threads on aerodyne,
    general rule seems to be that everyone who has one,
    is happy with it. If you like fenders and p/j combo, this
    is a great bass in its price range. Pickup change will must
    surely be in order though, the j pickup seems to hiss on
    most of them if not all.
  4. I've owned an Aerodyne for over a year now and to be honest, I love it. I went into GC looking fore the Fender Tone. Out of all the precicion basses, this had it. Its strung with Fender flats (not stock). The weight alone is a good selling point (very light). Plus the flashy looks. Try one out first though because you can always get a klunker. ;)
  5. While I don't own one, I've played several, and they're all excellent instruments. You really can't go wrong with the tone, weight or looks of the aerodyne. It simply feels good to play.
  6. jasonc

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks a lot guys. Appreciate your input!
  7. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I love my Aerodyne but the j pup hiss is too much ? I'm considering replacing it or both with DiMarzios.

Has anyone altered the pups to get rid of the hiss?

Despite this, its still an excellent bass. It looks cool, the basswood body makes it light and the neck pick-up gives it a classic fender sound.
  8. radi8

Feb 10, 2004

there is a well-known online shop that has one in "excellent condition" for 250 bucks.
  9. rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Forgot to mention that I am also a happy owner :p
    Will replace pickups in a few weeks, I let you know how
    it works out :)
  10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I like it. But I couldn't figure the controls out so I got mad and put it back. Now I feel I can work the controls.
  11. bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
  12. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    That red Japanese version really rocks. IMO, that is one fine looking bass! P-J is a setup that I like very much. :)