1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Aerodyne bridge and pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by M13, Nov 1, 2013.

1. M13

M13

Nov 1, 2013
    Newbie here, appreciate any help I can get.

I'm a drummer, but I love playing the bass on the side. I'm going to order a Fender Aerodyne bass, but have read all over the net that replacing the bridge immediately is a good call. I might even change the pups, I haven't decided yet.

I know as much about bass bridges as I do about building bridges, so:

Badass III or Babicz FCH 4?

Also, are Fralins or Nordstrands worth the money for someone whose ears - mine - might not even know the difference? I can obviously get Duncans, Dimarzio's etc for less.

Thanks, stay frosty.....M

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    PJ aerodyne? If you want the most bang for the buck on upgrades, the FCH 4 and replacing on the the J pickup would give you the best bang for the buck.

For $200 you can have a set of Dimarzio Model PJ's and the Babicz bridge or the Badass III. I like hipshot hardware as well, especially at $90 for the A-Type bridge in Aluminum.

Are the Nordstrands worth the money? I'm not entirely convinced of that after owning them; but they are WONDERFUL pickups that come with even better technical support if you need it for any reason. I like Nordstrand if you need anything custom built for your bass. When it comes to standard pickups; only if you need a vintage tone nailed are they worth the extra money. I get the feeling you would be served just as well from a dimarzio or basslines setup than Nord.

3. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    The babicz and dimarzio model P and J would be the best way to go. Or some seymour duncan spb2s-4s.

4. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    SPB-4 and an SJ2b-STK bridge? Yep great idea!

5. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Beware of claims that you "need" to upgrade or mod a bass - it's mostly just the thing to do (all the cool kids are doing it).

I have a Fender Aerodyne. Nothing whatsoever wrong with the stock bridge. I did replace the pickups, not because they sound bad, but because I hate single-coil hum, and I figured as long as I was replacing the bridge PU, I might as well do the set. I put Dimarzio Model P/Js in it, and I'm quite happy. I wouldn't say they sound better than the stock, but definitely different, and a bit more to my taste.

Anyway, buy the bass and play it first before you start spending a ton of money upgrading - you might like it fine as is.

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Who are these cool kids?

Cool-Kid-300x199.

Solid advice here. I was going to say just replace the bridge pickup and leave the stock P intact; mostly to get rid of the single coil hum. A Fender hum-cancelling pickup would be a great option for a more P-deluxe feel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Vint...340?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e7782b7e4

Or the new 55 Split coil:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Supe...071?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e81370737

These by the way are in no way the "best price" representation; I just happen to have an ebay window open to guitar pickups at the time and could easily locate those two auctions.

The Duff aerodyne has a standard P pickup and a duncan STK-2Jb in the bridge.

7. M13

M13

Nov 1, 2013
    Thanks guys.

I'm glad I haven't read "Fralins/Nordstrands or death! They're worth it!"

The quality of the bridge is a concern, and hum always irritates me, even when sitting behind my drums . . . but yea, replacing the pickups should probably wait. It might sound fine to my layman's ears with Fender's pups.

8. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    I wouldnt replace the bridge unless the screws keep slipping. Even then lots of people have used nail polish to keep it in place. I replaced my stock "vintage" bridge with a babicz and couldn't be happier though.

Another idea:
    Turn it into the old fender frank bello sig. bass. Badass II and an SPB-3 and a fender noiseless in the bridge.

9. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I don't know; they won't hang out with me. ;)

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The stock bridge is fine. There is no reason to replace it based on quality.

I would throw a Duncan STK-J2b im the bridge position and leave it alone. Single coil hum is no fun.