1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender (?) Aerodyne (??) detectives assemble! Help me I.D. this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EpicSoundtracks, Jan 9, 2018.

1. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks (the artist formerly known as de1orean) Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    FAJ.

being sold locally as a Fender, the neck it's mated to is a mid-90s MIM Fender, but I suspect it's not original. I can't seem to find anything else like this body out there. Aerodynes have front-mounted output jacks, so wth is this??

thanks in advance!

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't know what it is but it's not an Aerodyne.

EpicSoundtracks likes this.
  3. EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lownote38 likes this.
  4. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I put my money on this. Can you put up a photo of the headstock?

It’s definitely not an Aerodyne.

5. EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    here's what's bolted to that body: MIM "Squier Series" Jazz neck.

View attachment 2870035

6. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Well, you know this already, but it's a mismatch. No idea on the body, but the neck is a MIM Squier series neck from 1994, which is either a Fender or not depending on peoples' opinions and what they're trying to charge for the bass. Your neck is actually only 300 or so earlier than mine. The "black label Fender" necks are fine.

Looks nice enough. The neck belongs with a poly Jazz body with downgraded electronics and a one-ply white pickguard.

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

What he said. Cool lookin' as it is, it ain't no 'Dyne. :rollno:

8. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was some Japanese fender to be honest. I have seen some weird stuff from the Japan line. I have seen an aerodyne with the jack on the bottom but it was a pj. There are also fender aerodyne basses that have 2 j pick ups like this one. But the tone controls aren’t in the correct place on that bass.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's gotta be it. @StreetScenes describes it as unknown but cool. I'm looking on my phone and it doesn't look like it's nthe exact same body but it's the same type.
    image. FAJ.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's not the exact body from the ad. But it's the exact same kind (brand and model). The grains are slightly different. But they came from the same place for sure.

OP, if it plays and sounds good, and the guy is asking a couple or three hundred bucks for it, I say go for it. If he's asking Aerodyne money for it I would pass.