Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FENDER Aerodyne II Jazz Bass Pantone Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by radi8, Aug 8, 2004.

1. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Anyone own or test one of these?.

I came across a new one online for less than 500 bucks.

gimme some feedback :bassist:

2. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I saw that too and I want one sooo bad!! I hope I can pick one up in the near future, that is a great price on it. I believe those are made in Japan and they are not the ones that are produced for import to the US.

3. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanx TampaBlues,

I have been "cleared" by the powers that be,(read:wife) to purchase a Fender Bass...:)
    just licking me chops for a five or aerodyne!
    decisions, decisions...

4. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Tough choice, I don't know what your funds are like but I saw a Fender Roscoe Beck 5 on ebay this Morning with a BIN price of $800.00. As Fender fivers go, those are pretty choice!

5. What is this bass? I've never seen it. Pantone Edition? Got a link?

6. Nice! I like the Aerodynes with pickgaurds and different colors.

7. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    This is it.... a real beauty!!

[​IMG]

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Thumbs up. I snagged one recently. It's not as punchy and midrangey as an alder-bodied jazz bass, but it sounds good. The P impersonation is convincing, and it's well setup. The finish is impeccable. It's also noticeably lighter than the usual jazz bass, but not as light as, say, an Elrick or the old Washburn XB900 that I used to have.

Niggles: Nut slot for A is too wide. Countersunk bridge makes the clearance between the top and the strings near the end of the neck pretty small - if you slap and pop, you might be bumping into the pickguard unless you lighten up your attack. NB: only 20 frets.

9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I wanted one since they came out. I finaly got to play one. I love the feel. I couldn't figure out the knobs on the bass or the amp. So I got scared and put it back.

10. i played an aerodyne at the fender booth of the milwaukee summerfest last summer through a 400Pro combo. i really enjoyed myself. i found the bridge pickup to have a really great, nasal sound and the P pickup was big and thick. i have always loved the blend of bridge J and neck P for a big, cutting tone. that may well be on my next bass.

i prefer the shape of the P body to the J, so i'm not into buying an aerodyne, but i love the feel, weight, tones, and radiused top. i think fender put together a great combination of traits, or variations on traditional themes.

robb.

11. "It is loaded with a Precision/Jazz pickup combination and rear mounted controls"

What rear mouted controls lol...

but really looks nice... i always imagined the Aero to have a Graphite neck...now that would be one sweet bass.!!!

Maybe partner up with Status as Musicman did... :p yeah right lol

12. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

That's what I said, too....

Now, I have played one with said rear mounted controls at a local store. It had the same body contouring described above, a really nice tone and feel, light weight, but it's $900 list. They offered it to me at $630 -- even tho' that's only 30% off list, I couldn't get 'em down any lower.

Are we talking about two different basses here??????? 'Cuz I saw the $500 one pictured here on the web and passed because it didn't look like the same thing? What's going on?????

13. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    The original price for the Pantone at guitartrader is about 900-bucks...it's on sale there, rear mounted controls and all, for 489.00 and 499.00

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Let's clear this up.

Fender Aerodyne. Widely available in the US. Black body, black headstock, black chrome hardware. No pickguard. Rear-mounted controls, i.e. control cavity routed into the back of the bass; no control plate. Usually retails around $630.

Fender Aerodyne II. Not so widely available in the US. Black, grey or red body with matching headstock, chrome hardware. Pickguard. Front-mounted controls, i.e. control plate on the front; no cavity on the back. Prices vary widely; available from Guitar Trader, Ishibashi or ebay, occasionally.

15. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Thanks, Christopher. Much obliged.