Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Aerodyne J bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Mar 20, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm considering buying one of these, and was wondering if anyone on the forum has one or could offer any feedback on this bass. I love the feel and look of this bass. I normally play a '82 G&L L2000, which i absolutely love (and would be heartbroken if anything happened to it). But I'm looking for a nice, lightweight bass that I can gig/tour with that i don't have to worry too much about damaging or losing. However, It seems a little expensive for a japanese fender. I got my dealer down to 599 w/ a hs case...seems like an alright deal for a very nice playing bass.

Any feedback on this bass would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Also..i forgot to mention what i do with it. I play in a metal band. I use a Trace GP7sm-250 head w/ a genzbenz 2x10, and a gb 1x15. I occasionally use an overdrive pedal.

Maybe i'm better off using the $600 towards a different bass. But i really liked the ease I could play this bass with, and the tone was great through a not-so-great hartke combo.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you like the tone, and the look goes well with a metal band, then get it. I heave heard of some not liking the "sharp" edges on it. You could also try a spector, maybe...

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you like the feel and sound, go for it. I honestly couldn't get over the radiused top.

5. Get it. Its worth the money. Especially with a hsc.The case alone is a hundred. so what does that tell you. thats alot for a Mexican made bass but not Japanese. They (the Japanese) make some of the nicest insruments. I own one and it IS the fender tone. Good Luck!!

6. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    I guess its really going to depend on the type of tone your looking for....what kind of metal do you play...black metal, sludge metal, normal heavy metal type of stuff, or hardcore like dillinger styled stuff, etc. etc.

I personally didn't like the fender that much but i normally dont like fenders anyways..im really happy with my MTD kingston heir...check those out if you want.

By the way nice username..badass song

7. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I play in a mostly melodic metal band w/ elements of other genres: mostly thrash/death. I like a warm full tone, and a slightly overdriven tone for certain parts.

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    They're really good, solid basses. Basically everything I have come to expect from a MIJ Fender.

Only two reasons I didn't get one is because I don't care for the style/feel of J basses... and you better carry a towel with you because it attracts fingerprints/sweat like nobody's business. I'd have spent just as much time wiping/cleaning it as I would have been playing it. :p

9. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    If it makes any difference to you, the Aerodyne is made in Korea.

I didn't like the sound much, but then I'm not doing what you're doing. It sure is bright and punchy. And it's light. And the styling is meant to appeal to Generation Z or whatever we're up to now.

As always, you're the final judge. If it feels good and you can afford it, then go for it.

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    It doesn't.. :p

But on that note..the quality of Korean made instruments is definately up if it's made there.

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I play punk (Ramones, Sex Pistols), metal (Slayer, Raised Fist, Metallica), and classic rock and I like the Aerodyne. The feel and tone of this bass makes me want to buy one. Thats funny considering I don't like Fenders! :p

12. Are you sure about that? I had heard everywhere that it was a Japanese-built bass. It's certainly in line with the Japanese Fenders price-wise. Unfortunately, fender.com's product section is down at the moment, so I can't confirm one way or the other.

13. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    I ve said this in other threads I ll say it again - Aerodyne is a
    very good "workingmans" bass in it's price range - feels good,
    sounds good, looks good. P/J configuration gives you lots of
    varietes in sound. That said to the cons -
    Sharp edges - can be a nuisance I play with a sweatband mostly
    fingerprints - I gave up long ago, it is impossible to keep it clean, so
    I go for the dirty look :)

and finally the only thing that really matters to me - j pup hisses
    alot, if you gonna distort it too, it will most probably be unbearable.
    So add the price of a new j pickup.

14. Fatdog

Fatdog

Nov 18, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    My Aerodyne has "Crafted in Japan" printed in the back of the neck by the serial number. Are some made in Korea now?

15. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    The one i am looking at buying says "made in japan" on the base of the neck, next to the serial number.

I am now more concerned about the hissing...I played it through a small combo, and it sounded pretty great. I guess i should really try it with my rig to see. I can't deal with lots of noise...I like clean crisp tone. As far as distortion...just a little fuzz at certain times w/ a boss odb3. Which does tend to add a little.

16. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Kelly Lee...have you played one of these through a trace? I use one, and love it. My main bass (G&L L2000) has such amazing tone. Will I get close to that with this aerodyne? I'm attracted to the light weight, and playability. But i dont wanna sacrifice tone. I'd rather have a sore shoulder w/ killer tone than a light bass that sounds not so great.

17. I briefly played one of these in my local music store one day. They're pretty fun, good tone (from what I remember). It may not be able to compete with your G+L tonewise, but for about a hundred bucks more you could swap in some better pickups.

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    If you like your G&L so much but just want a cheaper bass why not get a G&L Tribute they're nearly as good as the USA made ones but at least half the price.

Just a thought

19. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I saw her across a crowded music shop, she was black and beautiful...

When I picker her up I was stunned at her light weight! Her body is basswood so light as a feather ! Sweet action, she plays like a dream…

After the wedded bliss was over, she’s still my #1 ! J

My only complaint is she is noisy / hissy ! Especially the bridge pick-up….I replaced both pups with Seymour Duncan ¼ pounders and now the rear pick-up has the Jazz growl! Occasionally I’ll change to the neck pup when I want the P-bass “honk”.

I love, it’s a great bass !!!

20. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Hmm...sounds like if i get it i'll need new pickups. So i gotta figure another $100-200 on top of the deal. i'm starting to have 2nd thoughts here.