1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass or 2008 MIA Standard Precision Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimbo_226, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jimbo_226

jimbo_226

Mar 16, 2008
    IM currently looking for an upgrade to my MIM Precision Bass and I find it gard to choose between the 2008 MIA Precision Bass or the made in Japan Aerodyne Jazz Bass. I Really like the fact that Fender has done sone upgrades to the Precison, but I also like the Versatility the Aerodyne Jazz Bass has having the P & J pickups. Any suggestions?:confused:

2. Yes. Turn your caps lock off.

3. jimbo_226

jimbo_226

Mar 16, 2008

4. WarMan

WarMan

Feb 18, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    The Aerodyne appears to be better made than the MIA, but I don't care for the glossy black. The MIA fits me better from an ergonomic perspective. I like the classic looks of the P over the Aerodyne. Both sound good. Having said all of that I bought and returned three of the new MIA Ps before buying a Warwick. If you want the MIA, check out the blizzard pearl finish. It contrasts very nicely with the P's chrome.

5. jimbo_226

jimbo_226

Mar 16, 2008
    mmm

6. I've played both side by side at GC. For some reason the Aerodynes all have a better setup and better feeling stock strings. I also think their build quality is better. Considering the extra range the J pup provides, I would pick the Aerodyne. That's not even considering the price difference.

7. I have a CIJ Aerodyne that I love. I have only played a few P-basses and I am not a fan. The sound was great but fairly small range. I love the P-J set up on my Aerodyne...and the neck is the real reason I have always been a Jazz guy.

I don't like the gloss black at all...I went with the non-export (ebay) and have the dolphin grey with the black pick guard....

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Given a choice between the Aerodyne and the newest American Standards I've played...

I'd go with the new American Standard in a heartbeat. All of the new "American Standards" I've played have been MUCH better than the American Series basses they replaced.

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've compared the Aerodynes to U.S. Fenders several times, both P and J. The Aerodynes are nice, but the American Series and new American Standards are a big step up in my opinion. If you really want a P/J configuration that's less expensive than the American Standard, find a Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz. It's much better than the Aerodynes, with active/passive operation and U.S. pickups including a noiseless J. I think it's one of the best values in Fender's line.

And I agree with Savit260 that the new American Standards are better on average than the previous generation. I have a 2008 Am. Std. Jazz V, and it's fantastic. Every 2008 Precision I've played has been great too. You will NOT go wrong with one of these, whether P or J.

10. I'm sure that if I brought an Am Standard P home and gave it set it up and some LowRiders, it would be fine. As is, in the store the Aerodynes are ready to go and play great. I would like to know what you all feel makes the build quality on Am Standard better??

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    To me, the U.S. basses have always felt more solid and better finished. The Aerodynes are nice, so we're not talking huge differences, but they're perceptible to me. I haven't played an Aerodyne in a while, and maybe the gap has closed. I don't know. But it's not just about that -- I've also thought they sounded better, and I much prefer the necks on the American Series/Standard. These are preferences, sure, but I've came away with the same impressions every time. In 2003, I considered the Aerodyne Jazz, but went with the American Series instead, and have never felt I spent too much.

12. Theband

Theband

Mar 14, 2008
    San Diego
    I have an Aerodyne and i love it, i have mine with acitive EMG's and i love the damn thing, it also has a tremolo floating bridge in it with a whammy bar. I would go aerodyne.

13. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I love my new Am Standard P. I tweaked the truss rod to lower the action, reset the intonation and it's great. I just picked it up last night after not touching it for days, and it was still in tune.

14. mikopita

mikopita Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Florida
    I've had both, and would point you towards the MIA Precision.

While I liked the Aerodyne, there were three things I didn't like about it:
    1- The gloss black finish
    2- The bound edge around the body (it looks great, but doesn't feel right)
    3- The tone was slightly anemic to me (I found the tone to be lacking something that the P just has)

15. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
  16. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    We have probably played the exact same basses at that GC and I felt the Am Std I played just destroyed the Aerodynes I've played before. One thing I noticed is the American seemed to have a bigger, bolder low end and more growl. The Aerodyne is nice, but it seemed thin sounding by comparison. I also found that I didn't like the binding on the body, it dug into my forearm right where it rests on the body. The American Std. Precision just feels more comfy and I liked the tone better. Not a quality thing to me, although I did see one Aerodyne at the local GC that was pretty much beat to death :meh: I don't blame it on the bass, though. FWIW, I change the strings on any bass I buy anyways, especially on Fenders.

17. jimbo_226

jimbo_226

Mar 16, 2008
    thanks I think I'll go w/ the aerodyne

18. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I wish more affordable mid-range 5-string P's or P/J's were available.

19. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    My new P was set up perfectly out of the box, literally out of the box.