Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick man, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im really stoked about this new Fender model!

Its got such a killer look and vibe, and if it sounds anything like the other P-J Fenders Ive tried, It should kick serious butt.

For a while now Ive been thinking my G&L's weight is keeping my energy level down at shows. It's slim countoured basswood body should definetly take care of that.

On top of that, I feel like the low B is a crutch, and that taking it away (especially with my band that plays in dropped D tunning) will force me to try other techniques and patterns that will keep my lines more interesting.

I think having to travel higher up on the neck to reach notes since I dont tune down to D will keep me on my toes. I already do this most of the time, but I think I could do this more often, and last resort, just get a hipshot D-tuner.

Ive tried a few J's, and even though they have alot of vibe, and are good for alot of different types of sounds, Im not sure they cut it for me. Not enough beef! I guess this my way of saying good bye to any major J bass purcheses. Bye Lakland JO5! Bye G&L JB-2!

So who else has been gassin for one of these?!

Has anyone thats been to NAMM played one?

How would you compare alder and basswood tonaly?

Peace
    Nick

PS: Sorry for the length of the post.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Bump

Doesnt anyone else have anyhing to say about the new design?

Has anybody actually played one?

Peace
    Nick

3. If you could get one with two J pickups... I'd be all over it like a cheap suit.

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Any pix on it? ...

5. I like how it looks....but we'll see what happens.

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I like the look as well, it is very appealing to have this configuration in a modern looking Jazz body. I wonder if it sounds close to the p-special or more modern.

Dan

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Looks cool! lOok forward to playing it.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Heres a good pic that really shows the binding and the body countours.

Peace
    Nick

9. It's so black, I can only imagine playing death metal or nu-metal on it.

10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    the question is -- how much more black could it be? and the answer, I think, is "none more black"

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Actually Ill probably end up playing it in my Nu-Metalish band so I guess that works out good.

On the other hand, I could see myself having custom glow in the dark star inlays installed, which is something Ive always wanted.

It could get much more back with black knobs, no frets, EMG, Bart or similar no polepiece PUs, and black tapewound strings but I dont think Ill be doing any of that except maybe the EMG thing.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd take one in white.

13. I'm sure they'll get around to a natural color. and maybe into the FMT realm as well. I'd take the latter.

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I like it. Reminds me of my orchestra teachers Jazz Special except i don't think the Aerodyne has the toggle switch. Thats all

15. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    :D

16. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I finally tried one of these. Forgive me if I'm way behind the bass curve here, but I thought I'd drop my two cents.

I played this through an Ampeg 15" combo and was very impressed with the tone.

With the bridge pickup solo, it gets more growl than any bass I've ever heard :eek:

With the neck pickup solo, you get good P bass rolling thunder.

And, of course, you can get a shading of the two.

The bass is reasonably well-built and is on par with a good MIM J/P bass. It looks very cool and is very light. One minor complaint is that the binding isn't very comfortable for those of us with bad technique (like me!) that rest their right forearms over the body. Also, the pickups are a little rough on the fingers. Low points for Aero-dynamics. Sorry.:meh:

In truth, I thought it sounded better just about any P/J I've heard. Maybe it was just the right amp/bass combo at the right time, but I thought it was a killer bass.

GC was asking $629. Quite a deal.

17. Ohh..looks kinda neato!

I think it looks classy. You don't have to play Nu-metal to want something with clean, uncluttered lines.

Coolios

18. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I noticed that too. I'd miss the contours I've come to associate with Fenders.

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I played one at NAMM and really liked it but I'll wait until they start popping up used on eBay for $400.