Fender Aerodyne Jazz Last Thoughts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hey guys,
    tomorrow I'm going to make my final decision weather or not I'm going to buy a fender aerodyne jazz, it plays great but every one i've played has dead strings, you can tell because they're just... dead! The lows aren't too low and the highs are ridiculously loud, but I never judge a fender by it's stock sound, I always add new pickups and a new bridge, how much will new pups change the sound? Will it transform this bass into the monster I know it's capable of being, or is the dull sound the actual sound? I've read too many good reviews of it to know it's just not worth it.. aah
  2. Well, I absolutely love mine :hyper:
    The black chrome hardware looks very metal or classy depending on what your wearing for the gig.
    I have always put on new strings after getting a new bass. It may also sound different thru your rig/combo/etc.

It think it sound great just the way it is. I've never had problems with stock fender pups.
  3. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    haha all everyone talks about is the looks, and yeah it certainly is gorogus :D how would YOU describe the sound? What are your favourite settings for it? I liked P full, J just under full ,tone down, rarr
  4. I've already stated in a previous thread about the sound... :rolleyes:

I usually have it: full P, full J, tone knob half way. Amp settings: gain 10, master 9.

I think it is the best P/J sounding so far.

Quit letting others influence you on your decision. You've already played it. Make up you mind based on the sound you've heard .
  5. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I as always a P-guy but I feel in love with the Aerodyne at first sight and quickly became a J-convert!

My old P-bass weighed a ton but the basswood body of the Aerodyne is light a s a feather

The way I'd planned to use it was with either the neck P or teh bridge J pick-up. The problem is that the bridge pickup hums somethign fierce when I do this. It;s fine with both pups on or just the neck.

I bought another Fender Jazz that hums in the same way.

I love going to the neck only as it give a P-bass sound and I have been happy with both pups on so I have not pursued the bridge pup only sound but I'd like to.
  6. Replace the stock J with a Dimarzio Ultrajazz or Model J humbucker.