1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Aerodyne: Jazz vs. Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by podoh, Aug 30, 2008.

1. podoh

podoh

Sep 4, 2007
    Leuven, Belgium
    I'm planning to start saving for a new bass, and I found out about the Fender Aerodyne series being very good, affordable basses. Especially the versatility of the basses appeals to me.
    Looking at the specifications for the Aerodyne Jazz and the Precision, I found out that a lot of important parts on both these basses are the same. Since the pickups and control knobs are the same, I expect they sound very much alike.

Now what is the difference between a Aerodyne Jazz and a Aerodyne Precision, apart from the looks?

2. Left Left Goose

Left Left Goose Banned

Aug 19, 2008
    uhh, i thought they only came in P/J
    that means they have the precision slit pickups AND a single coil jazz pickup at the bridge

if im wrong, the difference is the same as the difference between a normal Jazz and Precision.
    the tone is NOT the same, a jazz is just that, it has a warm fat punchy tone.
    the precision is more of a rock tone, it can get the lows and has a nice fat neck and with the tone maxed gets pretty trebley and sexy :D

jazz necks are thin, precision are fatter/wider but still pretty fast (imo)

3. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the other way around for tone?

4. Left Left Goose

Left Left Goose Banned

Aug 19, 2008
    idk :D
    ive only played a jazz FL for a few mins at GC
    i have a fender P and thats the tone i get, i guess i just worded it wierd/wrong :crying:

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Aerodyne P's and Aerodyne J's are essentally the same, besides appearance.

Choose which you like the look of most. :)

EDIT: The Jazz will probably have a thinner neck, as per usual Jazz vs P situations.

6. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eastman Basses
    I think the only difference is the neck for each.

7. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Yup! I'd go with the P, I prefer the slightly bigger neck, and the flame top.

8. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eastman Basses
    Yeah that's the one I have, I really like it. It is up for sale on the forum. I need to slim down my collection

9. Go with the Jazz, hands down.

10. Guys, please read up on your information before you post.

Both the jazz and the precision aerodyne have the jazz width neck (1.5 in.). The only difference is the body shape.

11. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I'd still go with the P!:D

12. Kramsey

Kramsey

Feb 9, 2008
    Denton, TX
    I personally like the aerodyne p over the jazz...it seems to me like it has a little bit of a fatter tone

13. BananaKing

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I like both but I prefer the P just a tiny bit more........... They both look very nice either way and you're sure to get a good deal with either.

14. I have both of them. They are not exactly the same bass.

The necks are different. Although stated the opposite on Fender webpage, the neck widths are different. Aerodyne Jazz is 39 mm at the nut whereas Aerodyne Precision is 41 mm. The neck feelings are different too. The Jazz is thinner compared to the Precision (if you'd like to learn the exact measurements, let me a few days so that I can measure the thickness at nut and 12th fret.

The pickup locations are different too (I was not aware of it before TB'er butchblack pointed it in the other thread). Take a look at that (rule beginning at the end of the 12th fret)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pickup location is believed to change the tone. I am not sure but the P on precision sounds beefier to my ears.

You may want to check this thread as well:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450067

15. BananaKing

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Thanks a bunch.

That clears it up for me.

16. josbroek

josbroek

Jan 22, 2009
    belgium