1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Aerodyne Jazz vs Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flysupermoo, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Flysupermoo

Flysupermoo

Sep 30, 2018
    Hi everyone,
    I’ve been thinking of getting myself a Rickenbacker 4003 (ruby red I think). I’ve had my fender aerodyne jazz for nearly ten years and it’s been my only bass. It plays great, it’s nice and light and sounds great too. But I played a rick last week and really liked it. It was very different to the jazz but I liked the sound, the look and think I could get used to the feel- it wasn’t as ergonomically challenging as I’ve found many people say it is.

My question I suppose is which would you prefer?

woodyng2 likes this.
  2. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The only opinion that matters is yours. Both are excellent basses (I too have both) and can be used in different situations. Get the Ric and rock them both.

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Try to find a Ric with the new bridge.

4. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    If you played a Ric and liked it, then why not buy one if you can afford one and want one.

5. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Hiho,If you like the Ric-get it,nothing like them.I have a hipshot bridge on my one-fabulous
    You could also get a Peavey Foundation and have a nice trio.

6. Flysupermoo

Flysupermoo

Sep 30, 2018
    Thanks guys, probably going to buy new so will get the new bridge. Now to decide on the colour! I'm liking fireglo now...
    How are the factory set ups on them?

7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Factory setups are medium high action and often an over-tall nut from what I’ve seen. You might get lucky, but most need a little nut work. Completely different animals from an Aerodyne tonally, if you like that Ric clank, there is no substitute. The bridges work fine, PITA to adjust, but it’s set and forget.

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  8. Flysupermoo

Flysupermoo

Sep 30, 2018
    Thanks, I guess I should probably get it set up at some point then.
    I’ve ordered one in fireglo, will be here tomorrow!
    String gauge wise I’ve seen they’re very particular- is it safe/recommended to get it set up for say 45-65-85-105? I like my Ernie ball hybrids.

9. Guess what? Both!!!
    CB78C2C2-6288-48BB-B86A-4CF65E224E4F.
    These two are my main goers.

10. Flysupermoo

Flysupermoo

Sep 30, 2018
    Snap

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The Perfect Pair, Ric and Aerodyne!

flashgod likes this.
  12. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I would prefer a Ric. Having said that, I don't know what's it's like to own one.

13. bobomatic

bobomatic

Jan 15, 2018
    Brand new 4003 I imagine? CONGRATS btw, you have chosen wisely! As for string gauge... I’m playing 55-110 Cobalt flats without a single complaint from the neck on my 2015 SW. They can handle pretty much anything you wanna use.

14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    A Music Man.

15. Get both and don't worry about the tailpiece, it's set and forget and it's got a pretty good mute built right into it that raises and lowers with two thumbscrews, very handy. It's been years since I had to intonate mine and raising and lowering the action is even easier than with a Fender.

16. Flysupermoo

Flysupermoo

Sep 30, 2018
    Got it today, very nice indeed. Much more aggressive than the aerodyne, can’t wait to see what the band think haha- not exactly known for our aggressive sounds!
    There’s a bit of buzz on the E and A but action is nice and low. Booked in for a setup in the new year. Will probably raise the E and A side a bit in the meantime. Thanks guys!

TinIndian and Gilmourisgod like this.
  17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Wait until you find some neon. It won’t just be the E and A buzzing...

nomaj likes this.
  18. Flysupermoo

Flysupermoo

Sep 30, 2018
    Neon?

19. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Neon bar lights have wicked powerful transformers.

@4Mal is giving you a head’s up that your Ric is going to lose the noise battle with the neons.

nomaj likes this.
  20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Fist night out with mine at the bad old house of neon lights bar, I had to stand in 1 position whenever playing the ric. A full shielding job helps but not enough. I eventually swapped the pickups out for a humbucker in back and a shielded single coil up front.