Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Aerodyne, MM Sub or Lakland 44-01?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkside 88, Jun 29, 2005.

1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm looking for a bass that can go from warm jazz to funk to punk to classic rock to Tool-ish rock to metal... I know the SUB is the most aggressive, the Fender has the warm classic tones and the Lakland is versatile and has a bit more bite that the 44-02 is very and very playable.

So basically...an every bassists kind of bass.

2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I'd go with the aerodyne.
    But thats for looks as well as sound. Gotta love that bound body.

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I can only speak for the aerodyne...and it's a hell of a bass for the $. It's awesome looking, easy to play and lightweight. I'd say its pretty versatile due to the p/j config pickups.

My other bass which is not on your list, but is extremely versatile is a G&L L2000. Gives you the agressiveness of a MM with better tone, and more onboard tone tweaking options. Only downside is its pretty heavy.

4. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i have a SUB - and your right in saying thats its aggressive...but i love that hot musicman sound. it can also do the warm jazz thing with the right EQ'ing

but i think in your case, the Lakland would be best as it would be the most versatile...

5. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I don't know about the others', but my Aerodyne is a killer bass for the price!!! I own 7 basses. This one was an impulse buy two years ago, when they first came out. I have grown to LOVE this bass!! Now, I have done some mods to mine: Active EMG pickups (Stock were too noisy), Gotoh 201 bridge in black. Heavy black knobs for the EMG electronics (vol., vol., tone). Black hipshot ultrlight tuners, and I made a new nut that is taller and wider than stock, and made of black water buffalo horn. The EMG's and Gotoh bridge really made a significant difference in tone. Really made the E string come alive.

Now, I did buy the bass brand new and stock, and liked it. But, I like it WAY more now with the heavier bridge, the quiet pickups, and the new nut. And, it looks pretty cool with all the black hardware!!! I am able to dial in a very low action on this bass. That, with the super slim neck, makes for a ripper!!! Great, old school slap tone, and classic growl when the P-Bass neck pickup is solo'ed!! Smooth Jazz Bass tone when you go heavy on the bridge pickup and roll off some treble. I really like this bass!! Since it is my 'cheap' bass, it has become my main bass for bar gigs. I am finding myself playing it more, and more, and more!! Me likes!!!!! Here, check it out:

[​IMG]

6. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    That is delectable. :)

. Anyone else?

7. You've just answered a future question about mine!!!

I was going to upgrade the tuners, but it would be too much hassle to get the new ones the same colour of hardware, so i was thinking about going all black with mine when i get it, and that just looks sweet!

Im gonna have stacked pots for volume/tone, volume/tone on mine when i get it, dont know what to do with the other hole yet, but will find out when i get it!

8. I just took another look, and im wondering what you did with the input jack, all the pictures ive seen the input jack has been different from that

http://images.misupply.com/products/originalrect/Fender/155035.jpg

9. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA

The original Aerodynes' that were out back in '03 had the input like mine. Your pic shows what to me seems like a new mod. A 'Strat' kind of input. Oh, if you are thinking of getting one, and putting on new tuners, here's some info for you: Not many aftermarket tuners had the ferrule size like the stock tuners. The Hipshots did, but the post diameter of each tuner was smaller than the stock tuners. This caused the strings to be pulled towards the tuners'. This caused my E and A string to be pulled out of the nut. That is why I made a new nut. Glad I did, too. The stock nut is the smallest, most insignificant nut of any on any of my basses!!! Weak!! Plus, one more thing to make black!! Here's some more photo's:

Headstock w/ new Hipshots and black nut:

[​IMG]

Headstock back showing old screw holes after Hipshot install:

[​IMG]

And one more of the mods'!!:

[​IMG]

10. looked like you had a black input jack in the first pic!

thanks for the info, ill have to be careful with the tuners i pick!