1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Aerodyne - output socket type change

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beammeup, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi,

I have recently purchased a Fender Aerodyne Bass CIJ and I Was wondering when they changed the output type from "on top" to sunken into the body similar to Strats.

Was this done in a certain year and why the change?

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Congrats on your acquisition! Welcome to the club! Take some pics and go to the Fender Aerodyne Club and get a number.

I'm not certain, but I don't think it's really a matter of "what year" as it's more of a "what country of origin" thing.

The one thing I do know about Aerodynes is that there are "export" and "non-export" models. The ones with a standard/flush-against-the-body output jacks are the "non-exports". They only come out to the States when they're specially ordered. Some models even have pickguards and jack plates instead of being rear-routed. Take a look at Fender Japan's site. You'll see a whole host of different Aerodyne bases, not just the black & cream-binding ones we only see here.

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/products_jazzbass.html

On the left-side menu, any product starting with "AJ…" is an Aerodyne. The rest are more standard-ish jazz basses.

AJB: standard Aerodyne models (P/J configuration, pickguard & jack plate)
    AJB-DX: deluxe models (the aforementioned "non-export" style)
    AJB-M: a shorter scale-length Aerodyne
    AJB-V: a five-stringer ala the standard model, but with two jazz pickups

The candy apple red AJB is definitely on my "Lottery List". It is super-hot!

3. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Thanks - I'm really looking forward to laying my hands on this beauty :)

Based on your description that my version would be a non-export - What are your thoughts?

Here is a photo of the bass fra the seller
    004_zps2fe72565.

4. Malak the Mad

It looks like a non-export model. Take a look at the difference;

http://www.fender.com/series/deluxe/aerodyne-jazz-bass
    http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/ajb-dx.html

I can't say with any certainty whether or not the export models ever had that kind of output jack. Maybe older ones did at one time.

Other than that, and I am a bit biased here, assuming everything is in good working order you've found a great bass. My first bass was an Aerodyne and I love it. The only mod I've done is to add a Hipshot Drop-D tuner to give me a little flexibility and convenience. I hope you enjoy the hell out of it!

P.S.: Keep a polishing cloth handy. They may be super-sexy, but they are big-time fingerprint-magnets.

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    The "out of the japan site" Aerodyne he showed (beautiful red one:hyper:) sports different machineheads and bridge (lookin' very "Gotoh") while the "export" Strat like jackinput one easily accomodates a Hipshot Bt7 bass extender (cosmo black finish apart) and shows a traditional tinfoil bridge.

Cheers,
    Wallace

Ps: the Op Aerodyne is the one I'd love to grab me, congrats!

6. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362574187.789512. my Dolphin Grey Aerodyne had the neck plexed,Nordstrad pickups babicz bridge and hipshop tuners now she is a play ya

7. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I thought the early Aerodyne basses sold in the US had the standard jack on top. I could be wrong. Either way, I'd much rather have one without the strat jack.

I dig the non-export with the pickguard. One day she will be mine.

8. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    The bass arrived yesterday and damn it's sweet!
    Fantastic neck, ok Stock pickups, below 4kg and great looking.

[​IMG]

9. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Mine is about 8 yrs old and it has the strat type jack. I like it. A drop D Hipshot tuner would be great on that bass.

10. Malak the Mad

Very cool!!

Just out of curiosity, what does the serial number say? Specifically, does it say "MADE IN JAPAN", "CRAFTED IN JAPAN" or something else? And what are the first few letters/numbers? I just want to know how old it is.

11. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi Malak,

Serial # returns - Guitar Info: Your guitar was made at the Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan in the Year(s): 2002 - 2004

Yes, it says Crafted in Japan.

Do you have any additional info or stories for these year of make / model?

12. Malak the Mad

I've heard there is a difference between the CIJ's and the MIJ's. Nothing obvious "at a glance", but something to do with the materials, workmanship and/or which factory it was made at . I can't remember what it was specifically, but I do remember the poster saying the CIJ's were superior in some ways.