1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Aerodyne Precision Bass V.S. Epiphone Jack Cassady

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raff Z, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Raff Z

Raff Z

Mar 31, 2017
    Basque Country
    Hi!
    I'm new in talkbass so I'll like to salute everyone here. Now with the thread: I own a Fender Aerodyne Precision Bass with natural finish. It's a very comfortable and handy bass with a P/J configuration, although I don't really like the Jazz pickup and also I kind of prefer my other precision bass (A Fender MIM 2012 Precision Bass promoted with a Seymour Duncan SPB-3 pickup) than the Aerodyne with the J-Pickup all the way Down.

precision.
    Having this in mind I've been thinking of selling my Aerodyne Bass and getting an Epiphone Jack Cassady instead which I find really nice sounding and beatiful, although I haven't tried one personally and I know it's neck and fretboard won't be as soft as the Aerodynes.
    POP_JackCasady-EB.

My question is ¿Am I going to lose with the change? Providing I also have another P-Bass which I prefer over the Aerodyne and that I'm looking for another kind of tone but also wanting to use the Epiphone as a second Bass in a Hard Rock oriented band.

Thanks!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I would go for the JC simply because you have another P - the JC is about as unlike a P in both feel and sound as you can get, and has plenty of usable tones for hard rock. (Some of my favorite incarnations of Hot Tuna are of the hard rock variety.) ;)

Raff Z likes this.
  3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Definitely apples and oranges swap. Very different tonally, ergonomically, etc. The Cassady is a nice hollowbody, not my cup of tea, but I think there is a Cassady club on TB. The two knocks I've heard on them is neck heavy and problems with the rotary switch, YMMV.

Raff Z likes this.
  4. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    No point in keeping a duplicated bass you don't really like, and having unrequited desire for something specific you want and COULD have.

G.A.S. Give in to it. You will eventually. We all do. For example, 5 minutes ago I had no idea I wanted an Aerodyne Precision and now.....ooooh.

Raff Z likes this.
  5. Raff Z

Raff Z

Mar 31, 2017
    Basque Country
    Thank you all! In the end I'm giving in to G.A.S. and I'm going for the Jack Casady, I feel it's what I really want to do.
    I know that sooner or later I'll get another P-Bass (almost surely WITHOUT a J pickup) but now I want the Casady so bad.
    Thanks again!