Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Aerodyne- Use it or Lose it...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Keep it, mod it, and play it.

100 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. Sell it and buy a different bass.

56 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've been toying with the idea of getting rid of my Aerodyne Jazz bass...but I can't decide. I'm either going to keep it and mod it out, or get rid of it and get something else. Here's a list of Pro's and Cons...

Pro's:
    -Fun and easy to play
    -Looks cool
    -Lightweight

Con's:
    -Tone stinks
    -Pickups are noisy
    -Fingerprint magnet (hard to keep clean)
    -Unbalanced

I love the neck on this bass though. Its super fast and easy to play. I like how the fingerboard has no inlays. Its really light, so I can pull "Cinderella" around the back moves with ease. JK, but it doesn't make my shoulder sore after an hour of playing.

I can't stand the stock tone out of this bass though. I've ended up running it with effects constantly to get a decent chunky tone out of it. I've found by itself its thin and noisy. So I added a sansamp and compression and found a decent tone.

So I was thinking about replacing the pickups with Nordstrands and adding an Aguilar OBP-1. Then possably switching the tuners to hipshop ultra lights. It would be sick, but now we're talking like $500 in mods...Is it even worth it? Think I'll be happy with the finished product? Or am I better off selling it and getting a different bass altogether?

My other bass which I love and play all the time is a G&L L2000. I find I love the aerodyne's weight and playability in contrast to the G&L's, but the tone cant even come close.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance guys :D

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Since you like the neck, i'd say drop in some new pickups or get a new body.

3. I'd sell it. That's just me.

I never did like pure black basses.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I say keep it and do the mods that make it work for you.

BTW, I would save all the old parts so you can retrofit if you decide to sell down the road. I know some will disagree but I believe the Aerodynes will become quite collectable one day.

Also, if you do decide to sell... let me know.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've admired these ever since they came out. I despise J pickup tone, but can stomach P-J combinations.

I've thought one of these with EMGs would kick some serious booty.

6. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Depends what kind of tone you want. I played an Aerodyne today, didn't like it at all.

I'd sell if I were you.

7. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    I played one at a Guitar Center and was surprised at how much I liked it. Great weight and fast neck. Found a good sound with the tone down about 25%.

I would keep it and put in new pups. I have 2 MIM Fender's that I replaced parts on and ended up with great instruments - you can go a bit overboard price wise, but if you like the basic instrument it's worth it. alot of cool pups out there.

Black basses do require some love to keep the fingerprints from taking over...

8. I don't currently have a 4-string, but the Aerodynes are top of my list because of the look and weight. I'd say keep it and mod it!

9. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Sell it. You don't even have a "pro" for the sound.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Don't sell any of your toys. You'll miss them some day.

Keep it.

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Exactly, that's why I say mod it. If you like the way it plays, then make it your own.

12. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    +1

13. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I'd say take a chance with the mods - especially since you have the playability (weight, neck) you are looking for. Keep in mind you don't have to do all the mods at once, you could do it step by step. e.g - start with the pickups and see how you like it maybe you won't even want the preamp, if not add that next....the tuners I'd say last of all. Just an idea. :eyebrow:

14. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thanks everyone for your input. I'm thinking I'll probably keep it. It is a pretty nice bass.

On the other hand, Selling it makes buying another expensive bass seem like not such a bad idea. ;)

15. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    MOD it..............

seymour ducan quarter pouders, yeah!!!!

16. I've got an Aerodyne with great pickups. In fact the day that I bought it, I was all alone in a Guitar Center in New Jersey and I played evey P bass in the place looking for the Classic Fender tone. Guess which bass had it? Some times I think that I may just buy a MIM p bass and drop these pickups in it and then I'd have a great p bass. Unfortunitly, Fender Mexico doesnt put out a p bass with a maple neck for under 400$ US so I dont think Id do it.. The jazz p is good too. I compare it to my Marcus Miller jazz.

17. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Personally, I'd keep it and mod it with either Seymour Duncan 1/4lb-ers or EMG's :bassist:

18. Hi there...

Big question is...how does it sound unplugged? Put your ear against the upper horn as you play - do you like the sound? If yes, then better pickups are going to bring that out and might be worth the money. If not...sell it.

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I could never get used to that 'sharp' edge against my forearm. But the necks do rock.

Seriously, put in new p'ups. See what you think. Put in a preamp. See what you think. Change to a Badass II bridge. See what you think. Change the tuners. You're done.

You can stop anywhere in the progression if you are happy with what you have.

I would re-finish it if I had one, but that's because I once had an all-black bass, and I wore all black to gigs.( I'm fat, and black is supposed to be 'slimming') I saw a video of us playing and I was invisible, except for my disembodied head floating around the microphone. It was odd.

Natural finishes and light colored basses only, ever since...well except for my red Spector.

20. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll keep it. Its alot of fun to play. Seems like most people agree with keeping it and modding it.

Now to figure out which way to go with pickups/preamp combo. I'm gonna do both beacuse I've really been diggin on active electronics lately. I'd like the ability to switch passive/active though...any thoughts?