1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZAR14, Apr 4, 2017.

1. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    What are your thoughts on the Fender Aerodyne Bass. I'd like to play one but haven't been able to find one locally...

2. If you like the feel of a Jazz, the sound of a PJ and lighter weight,
    then the Areodyne will suit you nicely.

TolerancEJ and Malak the Mad like this.
  3. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    Ty Bill. I've watched some videos of the Aerodyne, some sound good, others not so much. I have yet to play one myself

4. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
  5. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I've had one for about 10 years and still like it. Nice Jazz neck, PJ pickup config,
    not too heavy, looks great on stage, sounds great, feels great, what's not to like?

6. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I think they are great. As long as their setup properly they rock. Not sure how the pickups are but that's easily fixed.

7. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    I like the sound of the stock pups. Open sounding, no mud or mid bump. Noisy when not touching the strings and probably not very well made but I like the resulting sound, just keep a hold of the bass when cranked up. The 7.25 radius is a little peculiar to me. I think the neck is good though but prefer a more flat fingerboard, like a Jackson which is compound, almost flat at the nut and gets more of a radius up the neck. It's a distinctive bass in almost every way.

8. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    I absolutely love mine going on 10 years. I did swap out the stock bridge for a Badass II, other than that all stock.

9. fatcrabb

fatcrabb Objects Are Closer Than They Appear Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Corona California
    20170330_205607. Picked one up a few months ago and can't put it down. It's pretty much the only bass I play now. Gigging it 2-3 time a month. First of all it's extremely comfortable. The neck is fast as hell. It's the lightest bass I own, but it does have a little neck dive. I've read adding lightweight tuners lighten things up even more so I'm on the hunt for replacements, (gotoh resolites?). The sound, to me is off the charts. Rich and growly. Not lacking in bottom end at all but the mids are super sweet. I'm running a Mesa D800 and various Bergantino cabs and it just sings. The j pickup is pretty noisy though. I bought a set of Dimarzio DP126's as a replacement but before I make the swap I'm checking with my local luthier to see if the buzz can be "shielded out" first. I really love the sound as it is and I'm afraid the new pickups might change it too much. I got a wild hair and added fake black Pearl block in lays on the fret board, which I think is a nice compliment.

I've read the bodies are susceptible to dings and chips etc but that doesn't bother me. I'm playing this thing so much the body being scratched, dented and worn would be a badge of honor. I can't put this thing down. I'm a little worried about my Spectors though. They look a little forelorned sitting there in the rack while the dyne gets all the gigs now :'-(

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    jhb138, ZAR14, BlueAliceOasis and 3 others like this.
  10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I've always been happy with mine, but I am a bit biased, what with it being my first-ever bass.

FAJB.

However, if I had a complaint, I'd say mine needs some proper shielding. I'm surrounded by electronics in my home and of all my basses, it's the most susceptible to EM-induced noise. Usually, though, I just ignore it, since I don't gig or anything like that, but if I did, I'd probably get my hands on another Fender Super 55 bridge pickup. I have a parts-bass with an MIJ Precision pickup and it meshes very well with the Super 55.

DSCF0636_zpspo9znqp7.

It's also worth mentioning that said parts-bass project is sporting an Aerodyne neck. Hands down, they are my favorite necks, but that's just my ergonomic preference.

11. Are Aerodynes even still made? With Fender Japan going to take an extended nap, I'm concerned.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  12. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    I was able to play an Aerodyne Jazz the other day, pretty nice. Lightweight, nice feel to the neck, nice tone. Now I need to seriously contemplate my finances.....Hmmm!

13. Malak the Mad

For the time being, yes. The Fender/Kanda-Shokai joint venture may have been dissolved, but FMIC is still running the show in The Land Of The Rising Humidity Sun. They've kept the basic, Export and Non-Export Aerodyne models in production, as well as their "Classic '60s" basses. They also have "Classic '60s USA" P's and J's that are Japanese-made, but have American pickups.

Fender Guitars | Electric, Acoustic & Bass Guitars, Amps, Pro Audio

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  14. I kind of consider myself done with Fender instruments, but if I were to buy another, it would most likely be an Aerodyne:

3318487661_34ffaa5ec7.
    if they made them with double Precision pickups, I'd be more inclined to get one

15. Malak the Mad

Given how ballsy my MIM Blacktop Jazz is, an MIJ version would probably be one kaiju-killer of a bass! :wideyed: :woot:

16. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Get one. Best decision I've made. The only downside is how many fingerprint and smudges are left on it after playing, but if you don't care about that then it's the perfect bass. I put some EMG GZR's in and it sounds like a dream. With the GZR's you can solo the P pickup and it legitimately sounds like a P-bass or turn up the J pickup and blend them to get the tone you're looking for.

IMG_1340.JPG

Malak the Mad likes this.
  17. Malak the Mad

This might be a good place to mention it, but my local Guitar Center (Wilmington, DE) has a new Aerodyne that's been given a big "Scratch & Dent" price reduction. Some clumsy oaf (I swear on a stack of bibles it wasn't me! :rollno:) caused it to slip off the wall hook. There are a some chips, dents and scratches near the bridge and strap lock, but it's purely cosmetic. I've noodled with it a couple of times and it's perfectly functional…and had it's price slashed by $200! :greedy:

18. fatcrabb

Mar 29, 2008
    Corona California
    Ni cl
    In looking for a case for mine. Can you tell which case thats is shown in the picture? Thanks!!

19. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Yeah it's this SKB case. It fits p and j basses along with my sterling ray4.

SKB SKB-FB4 Molded Bass Case

20. fatcrabb

Mar 29, 2008
    Corona California
    Perfect, thank you!!