Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Hey guys, I was at Guitar center today picking up my new rig (Ampeg stuff) when I ran into the Fender Aerodyne. I immediately fell in love with it's looks because I love jazz basses, and I love the p/j pickup configuration. The binding was definately different, but it made me like it even more.

When I picked it up, I was astonished by how light it was. After putting my amp in the car, I went back in and played the aerodyne for about 30 minutes and now I'm GASing way too much for it.

I just wanted to know your views on the aerodyne.

oh, the only thing I didn't like about it, was the neck, it didn't match the bass as well as I hoped it would, but it still played like butter. The action was very low, and I could get very solid sound out of it.

So, just post your thoughts on the bass, and hopefully sometime in the future I'll be able to get one of these (unless fender makes the bello model the new aerodyne and discontinues the aerodyne)

Greg

2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I had one -- I think's an absolutely beautiful instrument. (I've referred to it elsewhere on TB as a "Porsche with strings.")

The downside is that you have to like it's tone. I found it far too bright for my tastes. It's also a magnet for fingerprints but to me that's minor.

Some TB'ers rhapsodize about the Japanese non-import version but I've not seen, heard, or played one. FYI, all Aerodynes are made in Japan but that one is for the Japanese home market only -- you can distinguish it because it has a pickguard. The export models do not.

3. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    I have had an Aerodyne for about 2 months now. It is an oustanding bass and a great value for the price.

This one was ordered direct from Japan thru Ishibashi Web shop. It is the Japanese non-export version with the pickguard and the chrome pot cover, color is Dolphin Grey. Total price was about $560 including the shipping (was delivered on a Sunday, that still blows my mind !).

Everything written above is true, especially that it is a dream to play. Very well built and a wide range of tone possibilities. The J pickup is a bit noisy, but that is my only complaint. Everyone who hears/sees it remarks that it is a great bass.

Give in to your GAS - You will not regret buying an Aerodyne.

4. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    to bad my parents are being anti-buying-a-new-bass right now, which kind of makes me mad...

I liked the tone, but in the future I would replace the pups w/ basslines, and maybe, maybe if I could find a bridge w/ a matching color slap in a new Badass or something...

still a beautiful bass, and cleaning it was easy, I wiped it with my sleeve and it was clean.

Greg

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I liked the feel of the neck but couldn't get over the feel of a radiused top, just felt wierd to me. Sounded good and played very nicely.

And I think I've given up on black basses.

6. Nice basses. Traded mine in for a Jazz 24 and don't regret it. Would have been nice to have both at the same time.

7. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Thanks guys. I'm liking your input because it shows that I picked a decent bass. I saw the Japanese non-import model and I didn't like it as much, this is because it looks just like a normal jazz, but the aerodyne is beyond that because it's differen,t which is something I really like about it.

Oh, will the aerodyne fit in a fender jazz case? Or does it have a custom case...?

Greg

8. A regular case will do. I have an Aerodyne for about two years now and I tell ya the bass is Awsome. The tone alone is what made me buy it but the looks are fantastic. Real Rock and roll looking. I may never give mine up.

9. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    I bought an SKB-44 case for mine. It is a generic Jazz Bass case, fits very well.

IMO, the gig bag it came with is crap. Keeps the dust off but offers no real protection.

10. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    cool, thanks for the help with cases.

I'm either going to go with this, or a custom warmoth Dinky J with:

Bassline pups
    Vintage fender bridge
    Gloss black paint
    Chrome strat knobs
    J neck with RW board and pearl blocks
    chrome bridge and pup covers
    Hipshot ultralites Vintage

I think the warmoth would be more expensive, and it'd be harder for me, but it'd have everything that I want in it, and I'm planning on keeping my new 4 until I give it away or absolutely have to sell it...

Greg

11. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    They're fantastic basses. My friend has a japanese one. They have such a great tone. So versatile as well, if I was to ever get a fender, it would be an aerodyne

12. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I'm glad you agree with me, but I'd get others besides this, it's just this would be my first.

Greg

13. I also had the Japanese model. I wasn't as impressed with the look of it compared to the American market model but it sounded great none the less. If I had the American one there would have been no parting with it just because they looking damn fine.