Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Affinity Squier........ or Washburn LB60!??!!? please help me choose!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Punk_Princess19, Sep 13, 2001.

1. I am trying to choose which bass im gonna buy through polls .. and answers from people on talkbass.com and through my friends that are in bands.. you would be helpful if u give me any information that you have.. thanks!! ;) :) :eek: If you have any extra info that u wanna talk to me about.. or anything.. jus email me or msn message me @ .... CLICK HERE!! :cool:

Here are links to the pictures and info about the to basses..
    Fender

Washburn

:) THANKS!!

2. The fender will come with a 15 watt amp... guitar strap.. etc. Its price is $499 (Canadian)
    The Washburn comes with a 10 watt amp. its price is $350 (Canadian).:cool: :) :( :oops: :p

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    dunno out of the 2 i guess i'd say get the fender. A p-bass is a much better punk bass. Ive heard alot of metal players like those washburns. I play punk and my weapon of choice is a musicman stingray. You might think about waiting and getting one of the budget stingrays. I'm not sure how they sound but nothing beats a stingray tone IMO. But if your just going with those choices i'd pick the fender, then put a quarter-pounder pickup in it and maybe a badass bridge. Just sumthing to think about.

4. Ok.. well..me and my friends are makin a alternative.. rock.. punk.. metal band.. i know that sounds odd but.. its a mix of nirvana/kittie/bif naked/orgy i know what ur saying.. " thats odd." but.. i already know that.. i dont know which bass will sound the best.. punky fender.. or rockish wasburn.. humph. i need help. :confused: :eek:

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you are looking for something inexpensive, I suggest checking out the Dearmond Pilot basses. Musicians Friend and Sam Ash are having blow out sales and you can get a 4-string for $99 and a 5-string for $159 (if they have any left). I got one of the 5's just because they were so inexpensive, and was suprised at how good it sounded and played.

6. The Washburn bass you're talking about has a P pup. So for punk you're off to a good start. BUT...it's not a p-bass. Since you plan on playing many diff. styles the J pup will give you some versatility. You could always change the pups to something that suits your styles better it it doesn't work out. I have that bass and really like it.

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Yeah, I use a Sterling... and I play a lot of punk stuff, and a fair amount of ska stuff.

Out of the price range though, I'd say save a tiny bit more up and get an MIM Jazz bass or a Precision bass. You'd probably get a better deal in buying a Jazz, because of the versatility.

You can always hook up jazz basses too.

Check them out. They're only like $300 or so.
    If this is your first bass, get the MIM Jazz (It's worth while getting a Mexican one in comparison to the Squire's)...

And I suggest a Peavey 1x10 combo...

Both will suffice for what you need right now, and both will still be incredible to have down the road.

You'll have a good practice amp, and a bass that you can hook up.

You might be thinking "How can I hook it up?"

Well... As said above, you can add pickups... Add a preamp, change the bridge to a gotoh, hipshot, badass, or whatever you like (those are just the big names in bridges).

I say you save a little and get an MIM Jazz bass. My first bass was a Squire Music Master, I regret wasting the money on a Squire. It wasn't a bad bass, but Squire's tend to just fall apart.

Just my 2 cents.