1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Am. Deluxe -- active/passive mod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Hi. Has anyone out there added an active/passive switch or pull pot to an American Deluxe P-bass?

I played one yesterday, and generally had fun, but felt the active tone of the P pickup wasn't pleasantly "barky" like that of a passive p pickup. So I was considering buying the bass, and adding a passive option, but don't know whether that would do the trick. . .

2. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    theoretically it should

i've considered doing that myself...adding perhaps a tone control
    if you try it let me know what happens..

3. yeah, I've tried a few Us P deluxes and also find that the active circuit scoops out some of the high mids with the EQ flat so the P pickup on its own doesn't really have the "bark" of a trad P bass, so a passive option should do it (Fender say it's a Vintage P pickup in the P deluxe).

how are you going to wire the active/passive switch? a DPDT switch on a pull-pot (the volume?) after the panpot sending the signal to the volume pot or the output socket?