Fender Am. Deluxe Jazz V consistency?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've heard this rumor that Fenders are little more consistent...when I was setting up basses for the shop I worked in around '97, there were some pretty atrocious jazzes coming through as well as your occasional gem.

I guess what I'm getting at is...is mail ordering one of these from MF a 50/50 shot (or worse) or can I probably expect one that will be good with a a little setup?

I will say that I don't think they're particularly high priced at $1149...when you think about the Korean Laklands clocking in near that mark.

I dunno. Hollatchaboy.

2. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Yo man I just ordered a Amrcn.Delux V with Maple body/Maple neck/Pao fero fretboard-dot inlay,with the hipshot adjustable bridge via the string thru body and active electronics for 969.00 with case
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    There's so much Fender bashing that goes on here, (and in other forums), that I almost feel that I'm going against the grain when I say that I wouldn't hesitate to order via the web... Barring a flawed neck, I haven't seen any Fender that couldn't be turned into a player with a decent setup, which your experience indicates should be no problem...

Most of the negatives seem to revolve around the 'factory setup' or GC rack items... EVERY bass can benefit from a tweaking for an individual...

My '96 Am. Dlx V, which I bought off of EBay, was severely neglected in it's previous life. I swear, it must have hung on the wall near the barbecue pit at The Rib Shack for quite some time, (seriously, it smelled like a grill and there was barbecue sauce under the pickguard when I got it!)... Nasty bow in the neck, mile-high action, (and I like it high!), scratchy pots, loose tuners... Within an hour, I had a nice player... A week of working out neck issues and I had a killer first-string bass for $500... At least with MF, you get a return if you get a real lemon!

4. At a local music store, I got to play 4 brand-new American Deluxes. Each played better than the last. No problems at all. However they may have been set-up by the store. Remember that most basses can be fixed up with a simple setup.
  5. I have a 2000 MIA Fender Jazz that I got off of e-bay and I really am fond of it. I didn't need to set it up at all and it plays like a dream.
  6. NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    I order an MIA Jazz V Deluxe from American Music supply and ended up having to send it back because the neck was warped. I order one from Guitar Center (they didnt have one stock) and everything worked out great.
  7. I have a 97 MIA Jazz V and it's a gem!
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    So do I. I love it.
  9. I forgot to mention that I've got a 4 string model, circa 97. It's great.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd order one without hesitation. I've owned two 97 JD5s and an FMT V, all excellent at what they do.
  11. cgworkman

May 14, 2004

The quality on mine was perfect out of the box. Fender tends to setup the strings a little higher than my tastes call for - I lowered them - now it's perfect.

I got mine from MF with no problem at all...

12. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Really surprised by this response, so many satisfied Fenderphiles. Might have to give it a whirl.

13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Nice Looking bass! Is that an Am Deluxe, or FMT or what?
  14. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    It's an American Deluxe with the QMT (quilted maple top). The FMT's and the QMT's are the MIA deluxe models with fancy finishes, etc.
  15. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Every time I see that pic I get weak in the knees. What an absolutely gorgeous bass....
  16. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I bought one from www.thebassplace.com about 2 months ago for $995. I had to have it re-set to my liking. The action was way to high and the pickups were buried into the body of the bass. Otherwise the guitar is one of the best basses I've ever owned. Sold my stingray for it. :bassist:
  17. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks for the input, guys.

Another week or two and I think I'll have the scratch to try a Marcus Miller 5 sig from the big MF. I really want something in ash/maple, and this seems to fit the bill. It's a little pricey for a Fender, but about the same as the QMT. USA made and $500 less than a Sadowsky Metro.

With the 45 day return, I'll be able to try it on my gig and all that good stuff.

I'll let you know how it goes!

18. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Good move. I bought mine from MF. I went through three different choices before settling on the one I have. MF was really good about it all the way.

BTW - Fender is offering a Ash/Maple option on some of their Jazz basses. I don't know if it would be any cheaper than the MM5 though.

Good luck
  19. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I recently got a quote from www.guitartrader.com for $945 for the Fender Am. Duluxe Ash Jazz V in Tobacco and maple neck. Said they could have the guitar in the store with in a day or two since the Fender plant has them in stock and could ship it out right away. I kind of kicked myself because this was the guitar I really wanted but I still like my 3-tone and pauo fero fret board. Granted you can not get an american fender in natural ash but this version is close.

I like the MM bass but what turns me away from it is the two volume knobs and the price. :hyper:
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have to say, my nickname for Guitar Trader once was "Snake and Clown" because your salesperson was going to be one or the other. In recent years, they've really become a good place to do business. I got my Yamaha TRB5-PII (list $3,999) for $1,700 out the door. They now rule, most of the time.