Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender am. dlx j 5 Vs MM Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by herrera, Oct 23, 2002.

1. fender am. dlx j 5

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. MM Stingray 5

21 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    fender am. dlx j 5 Vs MM Stingray 5
    i just want to know the positions betwen these basses because m thinking on buy one of this probably thisn week

im have some preference about the fender but...

you know

it is a hard choice

wich one would you choose

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well.. I had a Stingray 5 up until a few months ago.. its a great bass and I do miss it.

It has such a distinct sound.... and it may only have one outstanding sound, but it does that sound wonderfully. same as with a p-bass.

Jazz basses in general are more versitile. Fender Jazz basses are good basses, I haven't owned one but i've played on several.

Either way these are two fab. basses and what it boils down to is your own personal taste. play both, you should be the deciding judge on which bass to get... not us... but you should be happy with either..

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i used a ray as my lone bass for a long time. it is more versatile than people give it credit for. sometimes you have to get it with your hands but the tone is there for sure. gary willis is a huge fan of single pick ups for this very reason.

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah, don't buy into that no versatility/one trick pony junk you hear about MM SR5. I have one as my lone bass and I can get lots of different tones out of it. With the pick up switch you get series, single coil and parallel not to mention all the tones you get from different fingering positions. Pick and slap tones are fantastic as well. The SR5 can do a really good J tone but a J bass can't do the MM sound. Of coarse all the above comes with IMO's

5. i'd say SR5. Fenders are infamous for their crappy B strings, and the SR5s tend to have pretty decent ones. You might look into the Lakland Skyline 55-01 (I think that's the one I'm thinking of) so you get the best of both worlds. (MM bridge pup and Jazz neck) The MTD Heir is great too, especially for the money. You could make it a project bass, and put in a preamp and pickups if you want to, and you'd still have way more cash in your pocket than you would with the Jazz V or the SR5. The Heir also has a GREAT B string, and THE most comfortable neck I can think of. Not to mention that it's much prettier than either of the two you asked about.:D

6. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Both are versatile, but I would choose the American Dlx, due to its ability to get both a good Mid-High Crunch as well as an Excellent smooth LOW..

The stingray is an awesome sounding Bass especially for Mid-High and does good with Lows.

7. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    as you see it is a hard choice

it is just matter of opinion

the fenders that i have try dont have a crapy low b

could be fixed with EMG p/u?

8. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Play both and see which one feels more comfortable in your hands and also strapped on. They do have a different feel to them, and they are both good basses.

9. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I would definitely check out the Basses first before purchases either one. You Have to choose the sound you like. Never choose what is "In Style".....

10. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i like the 2 basses

and i have never buy something because is on style....

just want the opinions of every body

i probably wil have the 2 basses in my arsenal but wich one buy first....

i really really REALLY!!!!!! like the fender but i mean the music mans! K-A

as i said it is a hard choice

11. you can potentially get more tones from the Fender, but the ray5 can get plenty with varied technique along with the coil splitter as well. i very much like jazz-styled instruments, but i don't like this fender bass, so i would say get the ray5.

12. spaz

spaz

May 24, 2001
    Hampton, VA - USA
    I planned on buying a fender jazz when I decided to switch 5-string - until I played it. It didn't do a thing for me. I then started checking out everything else and ended up buying a SR5. I've been playing the SR5 almost exclusively for 7+ months and still love it.

13. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I had the MM5 and eventually felt I was too cramped with the narrow string spacing. It wasn't a matter of getting used to it, it interfered with my right hand technique. I could adapt, but that was just it, it couldn't be the same. So when I did pick up a 4-string, it was a whole different world (to me).

BTW, I didn't vote because my vote is for a Lakland 55-02 or 55-94. :D

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm a Jazz bass lover. I had a SR 5 for about 5 months & I never even brought it to the studio to rehearse. It just sat in my house in the case. I played it a few times in the house & ended up trading it for PacMan's LaceWood Gecko.

Pesonally, I don't like the new pickups in the new American Deluxes (Noiseless) but the basses are really nice. I like the pickups in the older MIA DLX's that had 5 larger polepeices per pickup.

15. I just had to make the same decision you are facing. I ended up after much deliberation with the Fender American Deluxe 5 Stringer. Both the Fender and MM are great basses, but the Fender won out due to the MM's close string spacing. The G string on the MM was too close to the edge of the neck on frets 1-3 on all that I played and I kept rolling the string off of the neck. As a player that uses walking bass lines, this doesn't work. The downside to the Fender is the B string. It is very loose and not the best. Hope this helps.

16. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    When I switched from 4 strings to 5 about five years ago, I replaced my '79 Fender J with a Stingray and I didn't regret it one single day.
    For a short time I played in a Blues Brothers cover band and thought it would be great to take out the Fender again on that occasion. Next rehearsal I played the Stingray again...
    One of the main reasons why I'm so satisfied: With it's growly tone it cuts through and sounds good in almost any situation (and I've played in 'difficult' places with a gospel choir...)

Some comments on the above posts:

It's true that the MM neck and string spacing is more on the narrow side (and that's why I chose it...)
    The G-string is rather close to the edge of the fretboard indeed, but for me it's not a problem.
    The Stingray is NOT a one-trick pony - the 3 position switch and the EQ can change your sound a lot (plucking position too, but that's the case with any bass).
    The Stingray is famous for it's low B with good reason.
    If your looking for the Stingray sound you have to get one, but you can copy the J-bass tone with the Stingray.

Just my 2 cents, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
    Matthias

17. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've had both and just recently put my MM up for sale. It's a great bass and was really versatile (not just a slap n' pop bass). The B string on the MM blows the Fender dlx 5's B string away and I have found that the MM records better than my Fender dlx 5. The Bottom end of the MM is really tight whereas the Fender has more of a wooly bottom.

I've kept the Fender however because it is very even on all the other strings and really cuts well. IMHO it is ultimately a more versatile instrument stylewise and I use it on gigs where my Fodera 5 is just too smooth (being a neck-thru and all that). I just don't record with it, it is strictly a live bass.

I would say to try both of them out. The MM's neck is definitely narrower which may be good or bad. I actually like the wider neck of the Fender but it's not for everyone. See which one you are more physically comfortable with, but both are defnitely good all-around instruments.

18. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    For me, it is the MM SR5 hands down. I think the Fender MIA Deluxe basses are fantastic, but Fender is going to have to learn how to make a decent 5 string bass before I will ever be convinced. The only reason to get a 5 String is for the B string, right?

19. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    Laklands are the way to go for a 5 stringer. Even though a Skyline will cost about the same as the MM or Fender, they had the best fiver

20. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    When I decided to buy a five, I played the Fender and the Stingray 5. Very nice basses, but I chose a Peavey Millennium 5 over both. 35 scale, better B string, more tonal options, terrific playability. If you're open to other ideas check it out...