Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Am DLX Jazz V VS MM V????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steveksux, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Would you trade an American DLX Jass V for an Ernie Ball Musicman (single pickup, 3 band EQ)? I know the Fender probably has more versatility, but its range of tones just doesn't include the MusicMan vibe. I want that gritty tight tone for fingers, and the MusicMan is a born funk machine too, although the Jazz is pretty good at slapping too.

So you guys think I'm crazy?

Randy

2. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yes...you are crazy. (Just kidding, man). Hey...if it's a SR5 you want then you're not going to be happy until you get one. So, you aren't totally happy with your Am Dlx Jazz V? I find by favoring the bridge just a tiny bit I get a gritty (but still fendery warm) figerstyle tone. It's not close to an SR tone but to me it fits the bill. I love SRs though and owned a SUB5 briefly before realizing that gritty, trebly aggressive tone isn't for me. I still like the look and tone (of SRs) for certain songs but from now on for me...it's a jazz type bass. Try favoring your bridge pickup a tad, boost the mids and bass a little bit and see what happens.
    -Bazz-

3. I've been living with that for a while, it just doesn't quite cut it. Like you said, its not quite the SR sound...

I have loved my Jazz bass, though, I'm afraid although I'm really happy now that I've finally gotten "that" tone, in 6 months I'll be missing all those "other" tones that the Jazz did so well... Time will tell.

I was curious from a value perspective though, I think the SR5 is equivalent to Am dlx Jazz V pricewise, so its pretty close to an even trade. Just making sure I'm not getting ripped off here in my blind haste to get the SR5...

Randy

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Do you have the newer version with the SCN pickups and 18 volt pre?

Might want to consider keeping it and saving up for the SR5 (but believe me...I'm the least patient person I know so if I was really wanting an SR5 I don't if I could wait and save.)

-Bazz-

5. Nope, its the older 9v model. Mid to late 90's version. The pickups and electronics are dead quiet, even quieter than my Smith (although to be fair, maybe I just turn up the treble more on the Smith to compete with the Jazz's tone.)

Found a used SR5 in good shape, can trade my Fender V for the SR5 for $100 extra, that's why the rush. Really don't see shelling out the cash for a new one right now, should have gotten it when I was single, back when it was still my money I was spending.

Randy

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I read that you got the SR5. How are you liking it??? Those B strings on EBs are phenominal, huh?

-Bazz-