Fender Am. Dlx. V or Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pre EB, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I've started the process of convincing myself that I "need" a five string. I will obsess until I decide on which one I want or "need".
    I played a Fender the other day and was quite impressed. I compared it against a Modulus Q5, an Alembic, and an old Tobias. I thought that the Fender was actually comparable to the more expensive basses in sound and feel. The Modulus' 35" scale was nice, though. I am going to try and play a Cirrus today and I was wondering what you guys thought. These are about the price range I'm looking in and I want a bass that I don't have to worry about. You know; a working bass. Not a high dollar show-piece, but something I'll be proud of and want to play.
    I've asked about G&L L-2500 and L-1500, but I'm not so sure that either's the one. Sure are pretty, though.
    Thanks for any input,
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Why do you "need" a 5?

Just curious.
  3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I haven't played too many American Deluxe Fenders, but I have played the Cirrus 5 at my local shop a lot. It's great. I highly reccomend it. Also, if you're in the market for a 5er, why not look into a Stingray 5. Good luck and enjoy whatever you get.
  4. IMO the cirrus (at least the one's i've tried) basses and the Fender Jazz are worlds apart in tone, feel, and looks. If I were in your shoes I would first define what application this bass would serve ( what kind of music will you play with it, are you looking to have your bass sit in the mix with a traditional/supportive type of tone or have it stand out ). I would then find a group of basses in your price range with the desired sonic attributes and then compare all of them for weight, feel, versatility, etc. At the end of this process you would have your bass.
  5. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    First I'll respond to Big Wheel. I guess I don't "need" a five, just want one 'cause I don't have one:D GAS I guess! I've got a killer rig and a killer 4, but the low B would be nice for some applications.
    I played the Cirrus 5, 4, and a G-bass 5 a little while ago. The Cirrus' did play very nice and seemed very well made. It had the rosewood fretboard but didn't seem as bright as I had hoped. Is a Maple fretboard going to have a brighter tone? I'm not too experienced in that regard. My Stingray has a Maple FB and has a great tone ( I compare all other basses to it). The G-Bass could have used a set-up but it sounded closer to what I'm looking for.
    Cephas- I playe mostly Blues but have an experimental, ambient, dub thing going and hope to be doing that more. I agree that the Fender and Peavey are worlds apart but I had heard so much about the Peavey that I thought I should give it a shot. I definately am a supportive player, but I like an "in your face", big-deep-fat tone. I think I like the sound of the Fender better but I need to take my MM down and compare them.
    I don't think I'll be able to aquire anything real soon, just thought I'd figger out what I want.
    They also had a used Warwick 5 for 750.00 but the neck felt like a baseball bat! Never liked those things. BTW all this was at Brook Mays Pro Shop in Dallas.
  6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Ah, but you haven't played the bass that you might possibly like the best- a Peavey Millennium 5.
  7. i hope that you didn't take my post above to mean that its not possible to play in a supportive manner with the Cirrus. it just has a different voice than the fender jazz and all of the other basses that you mentioned for that matter. of course, this is just what my ears tell ME... you may feel/hear differently. YMMV :p <br><br> luckily the tones one can produce from the Cirrus are good ones. :p
  8. bassman4hire

Jun 14, 2002
    let me know how the cirrus is i was considering one to but haven't played one yet.
  9. Well, I have to say, I'm a hardcore Fender fan...I once was a big fan of Ibanez...then I played Fender and I love em...

ANYWAYS, enough about me, I played a Cirrus 5 in a local music store, and that completely changed my opinion on Peavey. Now the only thing I think that sux in the Peavey lineup is everything but the Cirrus ;) I'm just kidding. The Cirrus 'tis a use of tree, and I think it sounds great, albeit, a slightly weak B-string. just my 2 cents worth.
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yes, try the Millenium Plus's out too while you are at it. They have a bit brighter and punchier tone than the Cirrus, to my ears anyway.

But on to your original question, Fender VS. Peavey Cirrus:

Cirrus all the way!!:D ;) Great basses. I have had mine 2 years now, and it only just recently took backseat as my main bass to a new Modulus Quantum 5 (although the Peavey still gets played plenty;) )

BASSNSAX--I have never thought that any of the Cirrus basses that I have played have a weak B string. Not quite up to Modulus/Roscoe standards of low B's, but they aren't too far off, to me, anyway.
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Why not get both? :D Seriously. both basses have really different tones, feels... they are nothing alike except they are both basses.. I like them both. the Cirrus is more "modern" sounding where as the fender jazz can give you a more "Classic" (if thats what you want to call it) sound. Both put out some great growly sounds but it will probably be up to you what you want to go with. I was in a store last week a/bing them... I just couldn't decide which I liked better even though I had the store owner breathing down my neck indorsing peavey like it ain't no thang... that was annoying..
  12. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I wish I could afford both! Although for that $$$, I could buy a Lakland. Maybe if I got a Mexi-Jazz and a Cirrus! Think that would work?
    Actually, how are the MIMs? The price is pretty good on those, even with the American electronics. Haven't played one yet. Do they still make any Fenders in Japan? Those were pretty good once they got their wood curing thing down.

Man, I've gotta bad case of the wants! Any of you guys ever have that illness?;)
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Strange comment. My Cirrus has the best B I have ever heard, with the exception of a Roscoe or a Modulus Quantum. It blows away most other B strings.
  14. It could have been the set-up, or the amp settings or the amp...probably one or all of those...but a nice feel.
  15. embellisher said...

My Cirrus has the best B I have ever heard, with the exception of a Roscoe or a Modulus Quantum. It blows away most other B strings.

I think my 55-94 has a better B than my Cirrus 6 did but it's kinda like comparing a vintage musclecar to a new Ferrari on the dragstrip. The Lakland has kind of a brute-force, take-no-prisoners kind of tone but the Cirrus would out-finesse it any day.

Since I play mostly power blues and '50s and '60s rock and roll (with way too much bass) the Lakland works better for me.

Funny thing is since I sold my Cirrus I've had a bad case of Cirrus GAS. The next one will be a five - but there will be a next one :)
  16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Try everything in your price range and buy the one that you like the best.
  17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I agree with the above post. play both and let your ears be your guide.

The 2 basses have two totally different sounds.

To compare one to the other is like comparing apples and oranges IMO.

The 5 string cirrus comes with 2 or 3 different body woods. So make sure you play them in all the differnt variety of woods.

then again, use your own ears to be your judge.
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can't let it go, huh?;)
  19. Nope.

The six wasn't getting much use and the Lakland suits my needs a lot better, but I still need a Cirrus :D

Oh, well. The right bass will cross my path when I'm ready.